S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Edge 2000 D/A 6" Pad Kit

Old 08-07-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge 2000 D/A 6" Pad Kit

Manufacturer's Product Description:
The Edge Pads are the revolutionary double-sided, foam, dual-action pads that require no backing plate. With twice the surface area, these pads last longer than traditional pads and save you the expense of backing plates. They are available in several varieties to tackle any polishing job. If you are the type of detailer that likes to experiment, or your vehicle has complex needs, The Edge 2000 Dual Action 6 inch Kit is the perfect addition to detailing arsenal.

Price:
$99.99 @ Autogeek.net

Packaging Info:
The Edge Pad Kit from Autogeek came in the typical white PBMA kit box with . . .
1 - 6" Yellow Cutting Pad
1 - 6" Green Medium Cutting Pad
1 - 6" Orange Light Cutting Pad
1 - 6" Blue Finishing Pad
1 - 6" White Ultra-fine Polishing Pad
2 - Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths
1 - Edge 2000 Quick Connect Dual Action Adapter
1 - 12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner
1 - 12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner
2 - Cobra 70/30 Microfiber Bonnets

The only instructions included were on the individual packaging of the items included in the kit. All instructions were clear, with the only exception being that the Edge pad packaging did not list the "cut" of all the pad colors included in the kit. Only some of the pad colors were listed.

Color/Scent:
The pads included in the kit were of the following colors:

yellow, green, orange, blue, and white

How I used it:
First the Edge 2000 adapter was screwed into my PC using the PC's wrench. Next the pad was attached to the adapter and then sprayed with 1 or 2 mists of XMT Pad Conditioner. A ring of polish was then applied to the outer edge of the pad's bottom surface. The polish was then worked against the paint until it had flashed. Any residue was removed using a MF towel. After use the pads were cleaned with XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner.

Thoughts:
So far I haven't polished an entire car with the Edge Pads yet, but I have polished maybe 30% of my car's surface using them. I also have not been able to use the entire kit yet. Out of all the items included I have used the adapter, green pad, yellow pad, white pad, XMT Pad Conditioner, XMT Pad Cleaner, and Cobra Indigo MF Towels. I have no intention of ever using the MF bonnets, but eventually I will try out the remaining pads.

I have to say I do love the two sided pads. Changing the pad or flipping it over is just as easy as with a velcro pad that is if you could flip a velcro pad. Also, the automatic centering of the pad definitely reduces the amount of vibration felt through the machine while polishing. These pads do a great job cutting or jeweling the surface depending on the pad color. Plus the pad conditioner & pad cleaner work well. These pads are also a breeze to clean up. The Edge Pads do initially seem a bit expensive, but when you consider that they are two sided and therefore should last twice as long they seem much less expensive.

I like these pads so much that I put my old velcro pads up for sale in the "for sale" forum.

Before & Afters . . .
Sorry no pictures right now.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:38 PM

Great write up! I have these pads as well and have used them on 2 and a half cars. I used the yellow pad with SSR2.5, then the green pad with SSR1 and I am very pleased with the results!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:59 AM

Have been thinking of getting a PC. When I do, will probably try these pads.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:34 AM

Yeah I think autogeek had them make up that orange pad, since it's not one of the original pads in the edge 2k system. I think people just have a fascination with orange . I didn't bother with the kit. Just bought the 4 pads and adaptor, even though I had yet to use the white pad. The blue pad works excellent with sealants and waxes.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got that exact kit in my shopping cart as my first set of DA pads. Reading online I finally settled on the Edge DA 2000 pads mainly because I've read that the pad quality is at least as good as other foam pads, and I liked the benefits that this system offered (dual sided and centering).

Glad to see that reviews here are parallel with my thinking.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

finally got around to using these pads today-
wow, dont think i will go back to any others...
i love the quick release and the ability to turn the pad over!

just had to snap a pic of the mess (and a bunch more rags on the car!) while i was doing a polish with this system:

(anyone know how to turn a pic sideways?)

used all but one of the pads today...
Old 01-27-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Jan 27 2007, 04:23 PM
(anyone know how to turn a pic sideways?)
Here you go...

Old 01-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey thanks!
now, whats the secret?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Jan 27 2007, 04:23 PM
finally got around to using these pads today-
wow, dont think i will go back to any others...
i love the quick release and the ability to turn the pad over!

just had to snap a pic of the mess (and a bunch more rags on the car!) while i was doing a polish with this system:

used all but one of the pads today...
Another convert! Once you go Edge 2000 you never go back!!

Seriously though Mike, I'm really glad to hear you like your new pads. They really are leaps and bounds better than the traditional velcro backed pads. The new 4" pads should be available any day now too. I have a pre-production set and if you like 6" Edge pads you'll like 4" Edge pads too!
Old 01-27-2007, 07:04 PM

Dang! Dang! Dang! I just place a $380 order of detailing stuff and I didn't buy this kit. I bought the regular pads.

Do regular unused pads for a decent price on Ebay. I may order the Edge pads and sell the regular pads.

Quick Reply: Edge 2000 D/A 6" Pad Kit