S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Eastwood Wheel Finishing Kit

Old 10-01-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eastwood Wheel Finishing Kit

Eastwood Wheel Finishing Kit

I've been wanting to get my stock AP2 wheels polished just for a different look but am concerned about the cost. Then I found this kit when I bought my fender roller. Looks like it could be pretty easy to do but I wanted to see if any one has had experience polishing wheels. I have a old beat up set of wheels for my Toyota truck which I would practice on before risking screwing up a perfectly good set of AP2 wheels.

Thoughts???
Old 10-01-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont know this kit...
but my main thought is that your wheels should be treated just like your paint-
they, like your paint, are clear coated. so make sure that any product that you use on the wheels is safe for clear coat.
always use the least aggressive product you can to do the job.
if you got pics of the wheels (if you can, post up several) we got product suggestions if you are interested!!
Old 10-01-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Oct 1 2006, 02:48 PM
dont know this kit...
but my main thought is that your wheels should be treated just like your paint-
they, like your paint, are clear coated. so make sure that any product that you use on the wheels is safe for clear coat.
always use the least aggressive product you can to do the job.
if you got pics of the wheels (if you can, post up several) we got product suggestions if you are interested!!
Well for what I want to do the wheels would have to be brought to a bare metal finish first. The kit will then polish the wheels to a bright shine. My plan would be to have the spoke of the wheel polished to a chrome like finish and then the inner (which is painted and cleared stock) with a little less shine. The finished wheel would then be powder coated with a clear coat.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:13 PM

I have a bench grinder/polisher that has one wire wheel and one cloth wheel dressed with polishing rouge. I have found it to work well on flat open surfaces. Not too hard to polish metal this way.

But there is nothing like a flat surface on a wheel, though. You will be using a die grinder and small tip to get in all those curves and corners. Its a long, slow, labor intensive job. I would suggest practicing on a disposable rim first.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Former Moderator

That kit should get you started. Get the clear coat off first with a good stripper or take it to have them bead blasted (preferred). Just make sure you have a good high speed drill or rotary to attach these to. A flexible shaft makes it easier. Manueverability is key. Take your time because snakeeater is right. It's going to take you some time to get it perfect.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:28 AM

This is like paint, the polish job will only be as good as the surface prep.

You can make a scratched or milled surface shiney, making it smooth and shiney is the challenge. It looks like the kit has a fair assortment of abrasive polishes for removing the imperfections, you might also consider 320/400/600/800 grit wet and dry paper.

You will need to chemically strip the wheels to remove all of the existing paint, then work your way through the grits/polish until you get the finish you want. We ride and customize ATV's, it takes about 2 hours to properly polish a clutch cover. I would estimate a wheel would take 8-12 hours. It is nasty, dirty work, wear a mask or you will have black boogers for a day or two...

Having had polished aluminum wheels in the past I will tell you I hated keeping them looking good. I had to polish them once a month if not more, and they weren't nearly as detailed as the S wheels.