S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Drying off the S2000??

Old 06-15-2002, 06:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by wilch
that leaf blower thing sounds dangerous. What happens if there's some sand blowing around? Sand blasted black s2000?

wil..
Don't do it in a sand storm or on a windy day. I do mine inside my garage. Besides, I don't blow directly at the car's surface. I blow at an angle sort of "across" the surface moving the water towards the edge of a panel.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wilch
[B]I also use a soft chamois on my black s2k.
I'm also very anal about swirl marks and scratches.

Basically when using the chamois I don't put any pressure on it whatsoever. I let the weight of the water hold it to the car then drag for a bit. I also do the car in sections (ie. after doing the bonnet I'll rinse the chamois in a large bucket of water, then do the front right quater panel, rinse, door, etc.).
Old 06-15-2002, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by DarioManfretti

Would you use your chamois (or anything else for that matter) it there was sand blowing around? I'd feel better using a leaf blower than those things with sand or dirt blowing around. Just imagine dragging a few grains of sand across your black S with a chamois.
Excellent point! Must remember this one the next time we get a lot of these: anytime a leaf blower is mentioned.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:19 AM

Would you use your chamois (or anything else for that matter) it there was sand blowing around? I'd feel better using a leaf blower than those things with sand or dirt blowing around. Just imagine dragging a few grains of sand across your black S with a chamois.
That is why I use a cotton towel (my microfibre towels arrived today!!). They have a very deep nap so that any dirt can get deep into the towel and hide. However, I use the California wiper blade first so the car is 98% dry to start with. If you use Zaino and have claybarred your car, the car is so smooth that no dirt should stick to the car...rinse, blade and towel dry.

I don't think there is one right way to do it...owners on the board have shown several different ways of doing it. Not sure if we will ever be able to say if one way is better than another.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matrix
[B]
That is why I use a cotton towel (my microfibre towels arrived today!!).
Old 06-15-2002, 07:56 AM

If you did not clean the car well, how will the leaf blower help? You drag a sponge across the car to clean the dirt off the car don't you? That dirt is suspended in the water and in the sponge.

I personally just do not like the idea of propelling dirt from the ground at the car at 200mph...not saying that it will not work because obviously you and xviper prefer this method. Just saying I have my way of doing it and I have been happy with it.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:20 AM

It's ALL good, friends and neighbours. To each his own.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matrix
[B] If you did not clean the car well, how will the leaf blower help? You drag a sponge across the car to clean the dirt off the car don't you?
Old 06-15-2002, 11:48 AM

I do not use a sponge either, I use a sheep's wool mitt (very deep nap about 1"). Point is anything you use will drag the dirt across the paint. Therefore the deeper the nap the better. A chamois has a very low nap, so imo it is not very good for drying the car.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:25 PM

Just imagine dragging a few grains of sand across your black S with a chamois.
Arrrgghh! I'm just imagining that right now. I shudder to think....

-V.

Quick Reply: Drying off the S2000??