S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Drying with MF towels

Old 09-29-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drying with MF towels

so i bought some Sonus der wunder Drying towels from the 40% deal. (the blue ones).

i tried to dry my car off after using meguairs gold class shampoo as normal. and i found the towel would leave a lot of water streaks. its the random web pattern, not straight streaks.

i didnt worry too much about it because i knew i was gonna do a bit of polish and wax anyway and it would take care of itself.

but i would hate to have to let it dry that way.

am i expected to use a second drying towel??

and no, i didnt use the free flowing sheeting technique. i just dont have an attachement for my standard washing nozzle.

and i did try "blotting". wasnt going anywhere quick with that method.

should i just go back to using the Absorber?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:46 PM

I found I needed 2 waffle weave towels from most brands to completely dry the S2000... the only exception was the waffle weave towel from pakshak.com... that thing just kept soaking it in. Currently using 2 big blue (version 2) but will probably get more pakshak ones after I get some more use out of the big blues.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i use any combo of the following that i am in the mood for:

2 big blues (similar to what you used)- i find that they seem to need to be washed before the first use... dont wash in hot water and dont dry in heat
the first one is pretty wet and the second not very wet at the end.
if i didnt do a good job sheeting the water off of the car, the second one will be a bit wetter... and i really can do with 1 big blue sometimes (when i paid attention to the sheeting- this depends on whether i am talking too much while i am detailing!!)

or
the blade and 1 big blue

or
a blower and 1 big blue

or
a combo of the above...

last weekend i did my car with sheeting and 1 big blue- but i was all alone and was able to focus on the car.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Sep 29 2006, 03:54 PM
i use any combo of the following that i am in the mood for:

2 big blues (similar to what you used)- i find that they seem to need to be washed before the first use... dont wash in hot water and dont dry in heat
the first one is pretty wet and the second not very wet at the end.
if i didnt do a good job sheeting the water off of the car, the second one will be a bit wetter... and i really can do with 1 big blue sometimes (when i paid attention to the sheeting- this depends on whether i am talking too much while i am detailing!!)

or
the blade and 1 big blue

or
a blower and 1 big blue

or
a combo of the above...

last weekend i did my car with sheeting and 1 big blue- but i was all alone and was able to focus on the car.
agree about the sheeting... makes a huge difference how much water you need to collect =p
Old 09-29-2006, 01:07 PM

alright. seems like its not expected to just use 1 drying towel.

and yeah, i did wash it. i didnt at first. got the same result, even from the start when it was completely dry. so i washed it hoping it would be different this time, pulled it directly out of the washer even! so it was already wet, but spin cycle did a good job of taking excess water out so nothing even came out when i wrung it out. no difference.

it does absorb a lot of water. it just seems to leave a lot behind that i guess i should still expect to follow up with a totally dry towel.

so you guys dont have a problem with using the blade?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:10 PM

Sheeting the car is pretty important and will help you out alot. It's done by cutting the water off and removing any sprayer attachment you have then turning it back on and allowing the water to run over the paint in a free flowing form.

No problems with the blade, just make sure it and you car or clean or you could damage your paint by dragging something across it.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=tysonCRX,Sep 29 2006, 01:07 PM] alright.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:16 PM

yes, quite the opposite.

but the way i use the absorber is dragging it across the surface like the hood. which i know probably is risky business. but thats why im trying to dry using "good" MF...

and i live probably just down the street from you in north redondo!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:48 PM

I scratched with the blade once

But it was my own fault for trying to go to fast...
Old 09-29-2006, 03:41 PM

well i have kept the blade in its original plastic case so that it wouldnt accumulate any nasty bits just flying around my garage. ill definately be more mindful tho before each use.

Quick Reply: Drying with MF towels