S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Drought

Old 03-12-2002, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drought

Today the state of New Jersey announced that no one in the state is allowed to wash their own car.

The only places that are allowed to wash cars are commercial car wash places that meet strict requirements.

I normally wash my car every other week ( sometimes more ). And even more often during track/autocross season ( which is about to begin ). Looks like the ban is going to be in effect for a few months at the least.

I'm going to put a fresh coat of wax on the car this weekend, then try to do my best to keep the car clean till they lift the ban.

Does anyone have any tips ( other than ignoring the restrictions and washing the car anyway ) for dealing with the possiblility of not being able to wash your car for a few months?

-- Tom
Old 03-12-2002, 07:42 AM

use waterless carwash. or instant detail stuff from meguiars or zaino. it works just as well as long your car isnt caked with dirt or mud.

chris
Old 03-12-2002, 07:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd go to the nearest coin wash with the spray nozzles. Take my own bucket, mitt, soap, california water blade. Use their rinse water to fill the bucket, wet down the car, then wash the whole car with mitt as quickly as possible, plug in another coin & rinse. Blade it dry and finish off with whatever towels you like. Drive home real slow so you don't get tire splash.
Or you can just leave it look like this for a few months:
Old 03-12-2002, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by xviper
...Or you can just leave it look like this for a few months:
That hurts my eyes. I have seen trucks coming from a mud bog cleaner than that. If my car ever gets that nasty I will trade it.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by William
[B]
That hurts my eyes.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:02 AM

Viper,how can that car be washed without scratching the paint?....that stuff looks like it's REALLY caked on.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Flyin Wedge
Viper,how can that car be washed without scratching the paint?....that stuff looks like it's REALLY caked on.
1st, it's Zaino'd, so it is protected really well. 2nd, I use warm/hot water and hose it down. Most of the crud falls off in this hose down. (If I did nothing beyond this, the car would still look OK but just a kind of dull grey.) Then I use the Zaino car wash soap in enough concentration to make the water very slippery and bubbly. What crud is left, the wash mitt takes off with very little pressure. Never wipe with the mitt until the surface being wiped is good and wet. Also, liberally hose out the underside often to keep the salt in check. I am currently keeping a photo documentary of the car as it transitions from full winter crud to like shiny new summer splendor. I'll post all the pics when Spring finally gets here. This car is a lot tougher than people give it credit for (when it comes to withstanding daily winter driving).
Old 03-12-2002, 04:49 PM

Yea keep it covered when not in use. I have a fairly private backyard so I cheat and wash it anyways,I don't feel guily about the water usage because I just stop bathing to make up for it.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Porsche951
Yea keep it covered when not in use. I have a fairly private backyard so I cheat and wash it anyways,I don't feel guily about the water usage because I just stop bathing to make up for it.
ewww dont even wanna think about that. actually i remember back in high school during the summer me and my bro would have little contests where we would see how long we could go without taking a shower/bath. i kinda cheated by going to the beach or swimming in the pool, but i went for about 3 weeks and my bro went for almost a month. needless to say it was quite disgusting and my hair actually did turn into something pretty damn nasty. but hey thats a different story.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:29 PM

I guess we will have start group drives to car washes in other states. NY and PA are less than an hour's drive. Maybe I will go on the New Hope drive and get a wash.

Quick Reply: Drought