S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Drive Thru Car Wash...

Old 01-09-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Thru Car Wash...

I didn't want to post this in the wash and wax for fear they make take my badge and kick my e-butt.

(edit by wanabe: this was moved from s2000 talk by the moderators)

But, the car is dirty and it is freezing cold outside and I don't have a lit or heated place to wash. Can I take the car thru a touchless drive thru car wash or will it mess up the softtop?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Former Moderator

Water may make it through the seals. IMHO those touchless car washes are useless on a dirty car anyway.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 AM

Its not dirty dirty, but needs a light cleaning. water may work its way thru the seals, but it wont cause a long-term issue, right?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:03 AM

it wont mess up the soft-top but if high pressure sparys right near the soft top in the window then it will leak
Old 01-09-2007, 09:05 AM

i've done it three times. the brushless ones with the water jets, when the jets pass over the windows sometimes it will make it past the seal and get you a little wet.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

high pressure spray on dirt can damage the paint by scratching and embedding tiny particles. Personally I would steer clear.. I only take my POS 95 galant super beater through car washes.. everything else is hand washed. Wait until its high 40s and wash it outside. You can use a heated bucket of water, but your hands will adjust to the cold.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmw16,Jan 9 2007, 09:37 AM
I didn't want to post this in the wash and wax for fear they make take my badge and kick my e-butt.

But, the car is dirty and it is freezing cold outside and I don't have a lit or heated place to wash. Can I take the car thru a touchless drive thru car wash or will it mess up the softtop?
kickin e-butt here!!!
since you are in hiding, i will go easy:

you pretty much got the answers above:

1. pressure is not good for the top seals (pretty sure that even my owners manual says this)- can dry them out and will eventually cause leaks...

2. any car wash is a guaranteed swirl factory- even if its brushless... the rags that they use to dry with are not very high quality and not very clean!!

if you have a "wand" type car wash (do it yourself type) near-by, that would be better. keep some distance from the edges of the glass, when using the wand- it has some pressure, but if you back up away from the car, the pressure is reduced enough usually so that it will not hurt the seals. also a good idea to retreat the seals anyway.

there are "qew" type products that do not use much water in the wash process... if interested, post back in the w&w and we can get you more info!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:20 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

carwashes are terrible... the water will impead the seals and get your interior wet as hell, it will never dry out and mold will grow. the high pressure water will also spray into the intake and you will hydro lock... you'll get swirl marks that will cost you a few hundread to remove... bla bla bla.

I take mine to a carwash all the time, the car wash is new so i'm sure they have the latest equipment. i live in a good area and always see jags, porshes etc. I've never had any problems... sure i would rather do it myself but sometimes you just can't. Whats worse a car wash or allowing grime to build on your car?

note i also have Sebring a low maintainance color
Old 01-09-2007, 09:45 AM

if u care about ur car and paint, dont do it. if convienence matters more, then go for it.

my gut feeling is that u wont go... pick a good day, get a bucket + water and do a light wash urself
Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

If I have no other place to wash my car (ie its too cold) I'll go to the quarters car wash and use the soapy brush to wash my car (usually soaping the wheels first in this case because those brushes have to build up the soapiness). Touchless car washes do not get the grimy film off your car imo, and so aren't worth it.

Quick Reply: Drive Thru Car Wash...