S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Dr Color Chip (Fix paint chips)

Old 02-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dr Color Chip (Fix paint chips)

Hey guys,

I have a MY02 Berlina and she has a bevy of rock chips on her hood and front bumper. I want to get it repaired but don't really want to spend $2K plus for a professional job. (It is a DD and will only get chipped up again) My co-worker referred this product (Dr. ColorChip) to me and I was wondering if any of you had any experience with it. It looks like it would work, but I'm no body man and have no idea if it will just jack it up even worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 02:21 PM

Shouldn't cost $2000 to paint the hood and bumper. I'm thinking under $1000 at the most for both.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:23 PM

I know, but if I am shelling to get the hood and bumper, I might as well get the whole car to look brand new. I am obscessive like that.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:36 PM

u wouldnt have to paint the whole car if the paint on there now is in good shape. all u would have to do is paint the hood and bumper and wet sand and buff the clear coat on the rest of the car. as long as they matched the paint right u would not be able to tell.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:45 PM

Meh it has swirls and junk from the previous owner using a brillo pad to wash it (I think). The whole point though is that it is a daily and I'd rather spend $75 to repair some chips than $1K to repaint and blend. Also, I don't have a garage or any tools to do the wetsand. I live in an apt complex in Fresno and all I have to my name is a parking bay. Plus I don't know how to do a wetsand and would just end up destroying the paint and needing a full repaint cause im ghey like that.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:45 PM

My existance sucks
Old 02-11-2008, 03:19 PM

lol sorry i understand what u are saying, is that colorchip a wax like substance that u have to leave on for a little while? cause a chip is a chip unless u fill the chip with something hard like paint and smooth it out. what i am saying is what i do, i get some touch up paint and fill the chip with just a fine coat of the touch up paint and then let it dry. keep doing this till the spot where the chip was, is slightly higher than the rest of the paint around it, u want layers of paint to harden in the chip for a better bond,then go to a parts store and get some 2000 or so grit sand paper (the smaller the numer of sand paper means bigger grit, so stay with higher numbers of paper) and some good compound, and wax. just take a small piece of the sand paper dip it in water and sand very lightly on the spot where the chip was until it is nice and smooth ( no bump where chip was). then take ur compound and begin to rub out the area lightly until all the really small scratches start to come out. (u might have to do this a few times), then take the wax and wax the spot out. just remember not to ever go past the clear coat on the areas around the spot when sanding. this might sound dumb to some people but i have worked in body shops and dealers my whole life and it is the best way i have found to do a cheep chip trick.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:03 PM

Sharkbite, after that procedure is done, how noticeable are the rock chips compared to if the whole bumper was repainted on say a black car? I'm interested in doing that and I have a Berlina S2K with a buncha chips in the front. I wouldn't mind taking my time doing that if it helped make my car look like new without the chips becoming noticeable again after a few washes.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should post this on the Wax forums so the Gurus can tell you about Dr. Color Chip.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:39 AM

well it holds up really good i havent had any of mine chip back off, but it sounds like most of ur bumper is full of them so im not sure how that will work for u. u can try it and see what happends. if u need more detail info on it let me know. also i have never had a black car to do this on so not sure how it will look, but on my gpw u can hardly tell that there were chips in the places i did it to.

Quick Reply: Dr Color Chip (Fix paint chips)