S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Does Meguiar's endurance tire gel smell like grape bubblegum??!!

Old 03-01-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does Meguiar's endurance tire gel smell like grape bubblegum??!!

I'm not sure whether I got jipped or not...I went to target and bought the last box of meguiar's gold class endurance tire gel....the one in the goldish box. The bottle inside is black...it was supposed to come with an applicator but I guess someone stole it, because when I got home I noticed the box was opened before.

Well anyways, the bottle was sealed. When I opened it,it still had that white bottle seal thingy. But the funny thing is, its not gel at all....rather its a purple liquid...similar to liquid waxes or zaino polish. But it really, really smells like grape bubblegum....almost wanna drink it...kinda hard to apply since its too liquidy.

Did I just get hosed?
Old 03-01-2004, 11:52 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

That is the way it looks and smells. You can get those applicator pads in a multi-pack at many stores.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:46 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it does. It's great stuff BTW. A single application lasts for a very long time under normal circumstances.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:32 AM

I used to use the Endurance but found it too gloppy. But it does last. Here's an item that is great for applying it: http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/product.a...temID=car-92043

I find that the Stoner's MSLT (More Shine for Less Time) is MUCH easier to apply, doesn't add the goop to the tire, and dirt doesn't stick to it like the Endurance. You can dress all 4 tires in under 60 seconds, no joke. http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/product.a...?ItemID=sto-mor
Old 03-02-2004, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as above, you got meguiars... it is known for that smell.
be very careful and remove it completely (buff it good) before driving or you will have a mess around the wheel well edges and sides of your car!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:48 AM

phew...I guess its the real deal. Thanks guys. Oh and yeah, I read that it will mess up your paint, hence I apply it in thin coats and made sure all the excess stuff was gone.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Saint_Spinner
phew...I guess its the real deal. Thanks guys. Oh and yeah, I read that it will mess up your paint, hence I apply it in thin coats and made sure all the excess stuff was gone.

Never had any sign of a problem in over three years of using it. Never buffed my tyres. Never had it flick up onto the paintwork. Always use the contoured sponge applicator that comes with it. Perhaps people are putting way too much on?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:59 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I also use one of those curved sponge applicators for the Endurance. Good stuff - and one of the things I like about it is that it *doesn't* fly off and get all over the car.

I think Muz is right about too much product being used... Two thin coats and it's good to go!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:38 PM

Use thin coats and let it dry in the sunlight, and it'll never leave your tire! Great stuff.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:20 PM

It's the best tire treatment around. I usually apply a thick coat and let it sit for about an hour. Then I go back over the tires with a terry cloth towel to remove the excess. This keeps the tires looking new but avoids that horrible wet sheen that the sprays give.

I've recently started using 303 protectant on my tires. Im going to continue to see how well this works, so far Im please with results but I dont think it will last as long as the gel.

I have been using the tire gel for years now, the one thing that I have noticed is that it really only had a good shelf life of about a year. It will start to get a bit chunky after about 10 months and then after a year on the shelf it may turn into a very watery liquid. It still works well but not as well as the product does in its new and lotion-like viscosity.

Quick Reply: Does Meguiar's endurance tire gel smell like grape bubblegum??!!