S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Does anyone know of a wax that lasts?

Old 04-22-2003, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know of a wax that lasts?

I'm in search of the wax/polish that will last the longest. I've tried several different waxes/polishes on my Pathfinder and Altima, but they all seem to just disappear after about three months. I wouldn't mind, but waxing the Pathfinder takes forever and I would really rather spend the time caring for my new S2000. I've got Zaino for my S2000, but am interested in something less expensive for the Altima and Pathfinder. The amount of time it will last (bead) is more important that the shine. Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2003, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my suggestions:

1. zaino (i know you said you dont want to use it, but it would still be my first pick)

2. finish first
http://detailguru.com/finfirautpol.html

3. carnuba (p21s)
http://properautocare.com/p21spastewax.html
Old 04-22-2003, 08:24 AM

I recently switched from the liquid carnuba wax to a paste style wax. So far, approx 1 month, the paste is still doing it's thing......

I bought the mequires paste wax and I apply it by hand, I don't use those orbital thingies.

If you're used to using the liquid, a word of caution, the paste requires significantly more "elbow grease" to remove than the liquid varieties. Which could be the reason why it lasts longer.

Another suggestion, more coats couldn't hurt.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:43 AM

This is the longest lasting one I have found and use.(my requirement was the same as yours).

http://www.autofanatics.com/col915mardel.html

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:40 AM

i just started using Klasse which is suppose to last for at least 6 months. We'll see
Old 04-22-2003, 01:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried the Paste Glaz based on a recommendation from a friend and also because it was made for lighter color cars. It is by far the easiest wax I have ever applied and removed. No dust or residue whatsover. Just comes right off perfectly with some microfiber towels. I'm sure the Souveran is just as good or better for the darker colored cars.

http://properautocare.com/pinnaclewaxes.html
Old 04-22-2003, 06:20 PM

Thanks for all of the information and especially the links. I didn't realize that there are so many different types of waxes/polishes. I thought Zaino and what you can get at WalMart & AutoZone was pretty much it. It appears that most of the recommendations are on a similar cost plane as Zaino, so I might actually end up using it. It's too bad that there doesn't appear to be something less expensive that will actually last. I waxed my Altima tonight, half with Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax and half with Nu Finish. The Mothers only lasted three months last time. The Nu Finish claims that it "will bead, shine, and protect for a whole year." We'll see about that. I'd be happy with six months. I'm going to start the Zaino on my S2000 tomorrow. I'll see how big of a chore it is before trying it on my Pathfinder which probably has about twice the surface area.

On another note, when I washed my Altima I noticed that I had several spots from splated bugs, tree sap, bird turds or whatever that I could not get out even if I used a ton of elbow grease. I had bought the Clay Magic clay bar system at Autozone and decided to try it out on these spots. All I had to do was spray the lubricant on the finish and then rub the clay bar back and forth. All of the spots came out! It was well worth the $10 paid.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:27 AM

Sheister,
If you apply the Zaino properly to your S2k, it will only take 1/2 oz to apply 3 coats. For those still "on the fence" about durability, some of the best dollars you will spend will be on obtaining the "Wax Test" from www.gurureports.org. The original cover price was $19.95, but they've reduced the price considerably in order to sell out the publication run. It is my understanding that once they sell the copies on hand, there will be no more published. There is a wealth of information in this publication.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a wealth of information in this publication.
If you can find some time why don't you fill us in on the basics? I would be interested to know what waxes hold up the best but I don't see myself shelling out $20 for that information.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:19 AM

I Zaino'd my S2000. I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far. I've put on two coats. After getting the hang of things, my second coat took about fifteen minutes to put on and about forty to remove. I figure that this is about twice as fast as other products that I've used. The car has a more "wet" look which is what I wanted. Best of all, there is none of that white crap in the cracks and crevices that is a pain to remove. I'm going to use Zaino on my Pathfinder which is now due for a cleaning. I'm very pleased and have found nothing negative about Zaino so far.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know of a wax that lasts?