S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.
View Poll Results: Where do you wash your car?
At home
83.33%
At a local self service car wash
14.49%
Full service car wash
0.72%
Automated car wash (not recommended)
1.45%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wash your car at home or at a car wash

Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by doddg
8. The car has Ziebart's Daimond Gloss finish on it, being clayed and with high-speed buffing (which did take out a scuff mark I put on the back bumper getting something out of the trunk, that regular speed didn't do the year before). I used to get this done before and after winter, but the last 2 yrs. I have only done it in the summer. Cost me $120 to get the rust application and Diamond Gloss redone every year. My Corolla with the regular Ziebart application of rust and buffing, is $60.
Back in 79 I was living in Pensacola so I had my new RX7 Ziebarted for rust. What a mess. The car smelled for a couple of months after that; the black wax material was everywhere. I was so happy to move back to the West Coast so I did not have to worry about rust anymore.

Is that what you did to your S ???
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

I shower with my car. Warm water through a softener system only. Lavender bath gel, nice and sudsy, and cream conditioner for her tires and top.

Egyptian cotton towels washed in unicorn tears only for drying. Pat only, never rubbed or swirled.

*rolls eyes*

I take it to a car wash when it's dirty and I pay for the hand wash. It is completely impossible to wash it at my apartment complex (i've tried). Occasionally I take it to a coin car wash and dump $4 worth of quarters in and scrub feverishly with my sponge, soak my sneakers, then dry the car with cotton baby diapers I bought at KMart. It is not a religious experience for me.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Home only. I spray detail/sealant every time before taking it out including the wheels. That's OCD lol
Old 06-10-2013, 10:15 AM

i detail P/T so at home

Old 06-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by doddg' timestamp='1370812919' post='22597073
8. The car has Ziebart's Daimond Gloss finish on it, being clayed and with high-speed buffing (which did take out a scuff mark I put on the back bumper getting something out of the trunk, that regular speed didn't do the year before). I used to get this done before and after winter, but the last 2 yrs. I have only done it in the summer. Cost me $120 to get the rust application and Diamond Gloss redone every year. My Corolla with the regular Ziebart application of rust and buffing, is $60.
Back in 79 I was living in Pensacola so I had my new RX7 Ziebarted for rust. What a mess. The car smelled for a couple of months after that; the black wax material was everywhere. I was so happy to move back to the West Coast so I did not have to worry about rust anymore.

Is that what you did to your S ???
1. Odd? I believe you had a bad experience with those that didn't know what they were doing; I have done the rust and paint treatment with Ziebart for 20 years on 6 vehicles, mostly to retard the already existing rust, and in my last two cars, the 05 Corolla and my 04 S, to keep it from starting.
2. Smelled for a couple of months; mine had an odor for 2 hours. "black wax material everywhere," I wonder if the manager was replaced, someone was hiring people who weren't trained properly.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy

Egyptian cotton towels washed in unicorn tears only for drying.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 PM

90% of the time it's at home, but occasionally I will go to a self car wash just to flush the underside of the car.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM

I don't trust anyone with washing my car after seeing my sister's car go through years of washes from a "professional." Her paint is dull and swirled from all the crappy washes the guy did with a dirty terry cloth towel or something along those lines.

I micro fiber everything, 2 buckets. One with soapy water, one to wash out the dirt before the wash mit goes back on the car. Little touch ups here and there with some meguiars quick detail spray. Full wash, clay, and wax every 4 months.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 PM

I drive my s2000 around 500 miles a month and wash it 2-3x a month

Most the time at home with a foam gun, 2 buckets, waffle weave and spray wax. i used to use a blow dryer to get the bulk of the water off but lately I've just been patting most of the water with a microfiber then drying with the waffle weave/spray wax.
A good friend of mine with a turbo'd s2000's dad owns a self service car wash that I used to work at so every now and then I take my car there to wash it and catch up with my friend. But I only use the car wash for high pressure rinse, blast in in soap, spray off the brush and feel for any debris, scrub front of car then lower portions and then rinse the car off and spray wax/dry. I mostly just go when I need a good vacuum lol. I did a minor paint correction recently (to the best of my abilities) so I'm trying to keep the paint looking good although not perfect. Soon i will have it professionally done and then baby the car after. The car has quite a bit of rock chips on the hood and fenders from when the PO had it and is really discouraging