S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Do you dry your car with a leaf blower? Must have accessory!

Old 09-16-2021, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you dry your car with a leaf blower? Must have accessory!

Hey guys been drying my car with an EGO leaf blower for years and love it. Now that so many detailing products are so hydrophobic, ceramic everything right, the water just flys off. The one flaw I always encountered was bumping the nozzle into the car... To remedy I ended up custom engineering my own nozzle guards under my own company. As you guys can tell I've been in the scene a long time still have my s2000 (check all the photos on my website its the silverstone MY00 being used). Let me all know what you think. Getting each mold made is super expensive so I've started with making them for the EGO brand blower first, but would love to know what else folks are using. Appreciate the support. I have a discount code for S2ki members just DM me on instagram @blowerbandco or facebook @blowerband blowerband.com

Old 09-16-2021, 11:45 AM

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I've been using a Masterblaster for years. Works great!
Old 09-16-2021, 11:53 AM

I like the masterblaster too, just got tired of the cord. I also genuinely like having a cordless blower for other household tasks so its 2 for 1 for me.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:03 AM

Received 102 Likes on 54 Posts

Very cool. I use an EGO blower as well.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:15 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I use the no name cordless leaf sweeper I bought for the deck (less powerful than a leaf blower).

I hadn't thought to make a soft end to protect if bump paint. I'm sure there's something laying around I could use to fab to work.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ThreeD
Very cool. I use an EGO blower as well.
Hope this helps you! You should check them out, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:16 AM

There are some guys on Obsessed Garage that have made a stubby tube.
Here is one of the posts on building them and why.
Facebook Post

the link isn't showing up above...Here is a copy and paste of the text in that post.

EGO stubby update:
For those of you asking about the “Ego stubby” meet the ApexAire Blowhole.
For those who want an ETA update, the first batch of production units are expected around the second half of November. This is subject to change.
Future posts around this project include:
- design and material choices for the Blowhole.
- the EGO Blower lineup both objectively and subjectively.
- the process from product idea to volume production for the first-timer.
- other requests that come up.
First, the background (4 minute read):
The concept of drying a car with a leaf blower is not new and I credit Matt for introducing that idea. Then seeing Alan Sales video blowing off his coated GT4 with the EGO leaf blower years back knew I wanted to try one for myself.
The concept of an interchangeable shortened tip system came from using a my pressure washer gun bought from Obsessed Garage (credit Matt too?). That pressure washer gun made the washing experience more effective and easier. The factory leaf blower tube seemed like an afterthought to the overall tool design. It seemed a better solution is to have shortened leaf blower tube with the option of different tips with the ability to add an extension for length.
At this point I had a concept of how I wanted this to look but without experience or knowledge to design or build prototypes. I am not a product designer, engineer, nor work for a company that does either. I do however, have obsessive patterns around products, design and testing. I vetted several design engineering companies across the country then landed with Flying Pig Designs outside of Boulder, CO. Keir Hart was the primary mind behind the design you see today in the 3D printed prototypes (more on the details of the design in a different post). One thing Matt and I talked about early on was to not design things to a price, design them for what it takes to make a great product. That has helped guide me throughout the product development process, even as recent as two weeks ago.
Aware of my own inventor-bias I sent a prototype to Nick Jones to get feedback of what he thinks about the concept. He gave useful feedback and let me know I’m onto something. I sent another prototype to Matt spring of 2020 without much expectation hoping he’d give some feedback too. To my surprise he recorded himself live on the 4/9/2020 Thursday Night at OGHQ video unboxing it along with other cool stuff. What a happy and exciting moment that was seeing his live reaction. I was sweating watching it for the first time hoping the brittle 3D printed SLA parts were still in-tact from transit; they held-up!
From that moment it started the bigger evaluation of what this product could turn into and asking myself, “what do I want from this?” Part of me was excited, part of me was scared of what it would take to get something like this to be a finished product. I heard Matt mention something in one of the inside the hex videos from his coach, “Business is an excuse to be in relationship, without relationship there is no business.” How I heard that was that I’m not alone in pursuing this and, when I get to that perceived destination that I will also not be alone either.
My relationship with Flying Pig Designs started with relationship from an engineer friend introduction. My legal team, manufacturing, logo, prototype testers, my friends and spouse to bounce ideas off of all came from relationships.
So, what I wanted (and still want) is to contribute. More on this in a future post.
To answer a question that expect to come up of, “what has taken so long?” Here are some of the hurdles:
- Early on, asking myself “do enough people actually want this?” After seeing the response from many of you I sensed, yes.
- Testing and tweaking the design, then repeat. Not just for durability, but for tuning of sound and maintaining the high performance of the leaf blower.
- Working through an agreement between ApexAire and Obsessed Garage.
- Evaluation of injection mold tool makers, tool material and injection method. This is a hot runner system to create the parts. Parts will be shot and assembled in Asia.
- Material sourcing and shipping logistics.
Interpersonally, this project has brought up something in me around creating things that gives me the feeling of limitless energy. The easiest way I can describe it is: fun.
Also, I faced a repeat message along the way for each hurdle above that says, ”I need to know one more thing to be confident.” This message didn't result in confidence or action. Instead, it did the opposite. Like many of you my search for information and understanding helps me make sense of the world. However, with a new project like this I was going deep in every new thing. Sometimes this served the project outcome positively but many times it didn’t.
Today, I look back on this two year timeframe with gratitude and excitement for what’s next.
I want to express gratitude for people like Nick Jones and Dave Plotts that made a difference with their perspectives and wisdom along the way. Matt Moreman for his openness and willingness to explore this project with me.
3D printed ApexAire Blowhole fitted to the EGO 615 CFM blower. This blower is the most recent blower and has a different turbine design than that of the others.

Last edited by thetastelingers; 10-05-2021 at 03:17 AM. Reason: link isn't showing up
Old 02-05-2022, 08:42 AM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

im using a normal ass leaf blower that works great but only if the car is ceramic coated
Old 02-13-2022, 01:53 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Step up your game guys. The ultimate filtered warm air blower for fine detailing. This thing ain't no harbor freight leaf blower. Soft tip nozzle is standard equipment.

Last edited by rpg51; 02-13-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:59 AM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought a Milwaukee leaf blower just to dry my car better. I agree, must have accessory.

Quick Reply: Do you dry your car with a leaf blower? Must have accessory!