S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Do I really need to use Dawn soap and Clay Bar?

Old 03-03-2005, 11:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by myculito,Mar 3 2005, 09:36 AM
Well, after claying though, that's when the zaino gets thrown on, so you won't have to worry about the swirls, correct?
not sure i understand your question...
but let me try-
clay does not do anything with swirls. only polish will eliminate swirls-
you can cover swirls, and zaino makes a swirl cover-
covers wear off so that covered swirls reappear.
after you do a swirl removal and live with a swirl free car for awhile you eventually will see some light swirls- thats the time for a swirl cover.
then you cover them until they bother you enough to remove them.
after you polish, you need to rewax or rezaino the car.
hope i got close to answering your question!!
Old 03-03-2005, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay...now I think I'm confused.

Let's see if I have it right...

1.) Wash the car with Dawn
2.) Clay the car
3.) Apply multiple coats of Zaino bros.

Is this correct? Or should I use a regular non-wax car was between steps #2 and #3?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by petraidm,Mar 3 2005, 04:46 AM
Care to explain your position on this????
Well I asked the same quesiton in my "whats the worse thing that can happen if I botch a clay bar treatment" thread and got several replies from people who have done it and got sratches.

His car is brand new and sratches are a known risk of claying. He kind of implied he'd never clayed before and I wouldn't "practice" on a brand new paint job.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by petraidm,Mar 3 2005, 04:46 AM

Claying will not damage the paint if you do it right
"IF"

my only point
Old 03-03-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myculito,
Your car is silver, you not going to see much dirt or swirls on it anyway.
Just wash the car regularly first and than go over it with clay and soap again. We clayed new cars at the dealership all the time. The S like many of the Acuras, come from over seas and seem to pick up more rail dust then most other cars.

Which swirl marks are we talking about? I can think of seeing 3 different types before. The ones straight from the factory. Kind of looks like a large finger print smudge on a mirror. Also the kind that is caused by a bad job with a buffer. The paint looks like a rippling pond when the sun hits it. Also swirls from a greasy wax residue.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are hundreds of threads on how to clay here if you just spent the time to just search. There is no reason to recreate the wheel when the process has been perfected to the millionth degree.

Detailer's secrets are only a search away and I have found that it's only scary the first time you do something. Go wash your car with Dawn or your choice of detergent, then clay it using a spray bottle with 50/50 dishsoap/water as lubricant. Remember to turn the clay. Rinse then zaino. Very straightforward.

If you don't like the swirlies, then get a porter cable and become a real detailer...
Old 03-04-2005, 01:52 AM

Let's get back to some basics here:

Basic 1: The secret to a great looking car is mainly due to the process used not the final wax or sealant used. In other words if you put Zaino on a pig, it will still be a pig. The steps involved are there to provide the best surface possible and get the best results out of your LSP (last stage product).

Basic#2: The different steps have a specific purpose. For the "zaino process" claying removes imbedded surface particles and a dawn wash removes oils and other contaminants that will reduce bonding potential.

Basic#3: Many steps are optional and depend on the condition of your surface. For example, you do not have to clay if it is not needed and you only do swirl removal when required. As you gain experience you will know what is required when.

Basic#4: The method/tools you use for each step is important. Take something as simple and standard as washing the car ... Using the wrong equipment (e.g. a bug scrubber or bad wash mitt) or wrong technique (e.g. washing the wheel weel with a mitt then washing your trunk) can actually create marring.

Yes, there are a lot of variables and products. My suggestion .... read and learn and check out Autopia.org
Old 03-04-2005, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by billyho96,Mar 3 2005, 05:51 PM
Well I asked the same quesiton in my "whats the worse thing that can happen if I botch a clay bar treatment" thread and got several replies from people who have done it and got sratches.

His car is brand new and sratches are a known risk of claying. He kind of implied he'd never clayed before and I wouldn't "practice" on a brand new paint job.
Clay isn't abrasive. If you've ever held a bar of clay it feels a lot like silly puddy. It's very soft. The only way your going to scratch the surface is by not lubricating when you clay or if you've got contaminants in the clay. If you've got contaminants in the clay then pinch off that small part and knead it to expose a fresh clean surface. Many members have suggested cutting the bar into several smaller pieces, which is a good idea. Clay a panel or two with one piece (still doing the pinch and knead technique) and then use a new piece for the next panel or two.

Like I said, the only way you'll scratch the surface is if you've got stuff embedded in the clay. The same thing can happen when you simply wash the car. If you've got dust/dirt in your wash mitt then you're going to scratch the paint.

And to reiterate what another poster stated, a lot of times brand new cars have more contaminants in the paint than daily drivers. So, claying a new car isn't a bad idea.

New cars often have more imbedded crap on them then daily drivers. They've been on a boat, a train and a carrier before they reach you.

Claying isn't hard.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=petraidm,Mar 4 2005, 05:52 AM] Let's get back to some basics here:

Basic 1:
Old 03-04-2005, 01:00 PM

Just use Meguires Cleaner Wax. Works wonderfully. Use it with a circular buffer. It cleans any previous wax off and the surface is SO smoother afterwards. Meguires cleaner wax is what I've always used.