S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Digital Dash Plastic -- Advice?

Old 03-01-2003, 04:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Would anyone offer some advice about how to avoid scratching the plastic that covers the digital display? I've been hesitant to rub anything to this, and now it's dusty as hell. I've been gun shy since I've put scratches in previous cars... This plastic tends to be soft.

Should I use a duster? Should I avoid cotton/paper...? I couldn't find any matches in search.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:16 PM
cdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McGuiars makes a plastic cleaner as well as a polish that most people use on their plastic rear roadster windows.....I used it quite frequenly on my previous Z3. This should work great, but the most important thing is the cloth. It has to be 100% cotton and the best I have found are the yellow cotton cloths that are made in India. Even if it says 100% cotton, 9 times out of 10 there are some polyester filaments woven within the fabric that will scratch plastic. These India made cloths ARE 100% cotton and generally are sold in a roll or packages of 6 or more. They are wonderful and should also be used exclusively when touching your paint while waxing/polishing and buffing.

Whatever you do, do not use paper towels or tissues, no matter how soft they feel, as they all contain wood pulp that WILL scratch your plastic and paint. Ever see a pair of plastic eyeglasses that have been cleaned with tissues or paper towels...not pretty.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chazmo, the best thing to use (IMO) for the interior are those new Pledge "Grab-It" wipes.

http://www.pledge-grab-it.com/

They are dry and charged to attract dirt and dust. They are soft and very easy to use. No cleaning solution and they grab everything. You'll be amazed at how much they grab and clean inside our little rides.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I use a "baby" California Duster on it along with the rest of the dash.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:59 PM

Super, guys. Thanks!

cdr, right! Thanks. I use paper towel on glass, but I'm sure earlier scratch jobs on prior cars were from using glass cleaner and paper on the plastic. I'm glad I asked!!!!

airgate, I'm on it. Gonna' pick some of those pledge wipes up.

XV, where'd you get a baby duster? I got the full size one a couple of weeks ago (amazingly enough, WalMart has 'em!!!) and was wondering if there's much application for it in the interior... A smaller version would be a definite .
Old 03-01-2003, 07:10 PM

You should be able to get the baby one at the same places you get the big one. I got mine at our "Canadian Tire" store. As with the big one, remember to "season" it first as per instructions or it will leave waxy streaks and then you'll have to rub the plastic with something to get the streaks off. However, I recall the baby one is not nearly as impregnated with wax as the big brother.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:22 PM

Here.........................
Isn't it cute!
Old 03-02-2003, 05:50 AM

Ever since I bought some microfiber towels, I've been using one of those. It also does a nice job on the wind screen.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:20 AM

Old 03-02-2003, 12:12 PM

Well, 1) I found the "baby brother" cali duster today, so I've added that to my toys. I suspect I'll use that more than the big one, and 2) I got a bunch of the "grab-it" wipes. I think I'll try that first.

Thanks, guys. Microfiber towels sound good too. Do you guys use glass cleaner or anthing on your plastic pieces or just wipe with the towels (dry)?

Quick Reply: Digital Dash Plastic -- Advice?