S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Detailing spray

Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bumblebeeS2K,Dec 6 2008, 12:58 AM
i've grown fond of onr at qd strength as my detailer spray. however, i would be cautious just using a qd and mf between washes to clean the car as this can induce micro marring.
I know a lot of people who quick detail their cars on a daily basis without inducing any swirling. I am not one of those people. I have not yet learned the technique. So I tend to avoid quick detailing between washes unless my car requires special attention (bird bomb, etc.). But every once and a while I do try again. I keep thinking, maybe this time it will work. Of course, my car is black.

Currently I am using two Meguiars' products: Last Touch and Ultimate Quick Detailer. Since I have a gallon of Last Touch, I imagine it will be a long time before I need to buy another product. But there are a couple of qd's I'd like to try:

Adam's Detail Spray

Finish Kare 425

Surf City Speed Demon

Zymol Field Glaze (which may not really qualify as a quick detailer)

Al

Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meg's UQD
FK425
clear kote quik shine (im out of this)
Old 12-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Meguiars UQD is good, but Adam's is even better.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 AM

I've been through the Meg's and Adam's as well as ONR but I tend to prefer optimums quick detailer. Plus, it smells like bubble gum
Old 12-06-2008, 04:28 PM

Here are my experiences. I have 5 QDs I have used, and will rate them #1 through #5, so my #2 isn't like a universal #2, but the next best in my arsenal. Still they each have a place in my arsenal and a best application.

#1: Zaino Z-6. Still my favorite, and I need to get some more. I emailed the bros to see if they sold it in larger volumes and they said no
I find Z6 to be great for paints that show streaks easy, and when you want that crystal clear touch.

This is a pic the day I sold it. It still had a good coat of the Obsessive Detail Sealant, so I just finished it off with Z6 after the wash.

#2: Finish Kare 425. Pretty much brand new for me, used it on the Ford. I really like how slick this stuff makes the paint. The truck is outside right now getting snowed on, and the snow just slides off once it gets heavy enough, leaving the clean surface, lol. I will try this on my black jeep soon.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=15&t=653481

#3: Meguiar's Quick Detail (not pictured). I still have some of this stuff from when I used to buy clay bars OTC (now I'm using Griots since I got some at a good price). Works good, streaks little, great price, easy to find in a pinch.

#4: DP Final Gloss. Does a good job with gloss and slickness, but I found it hard to get a streak free surface on my Berlina. Here is a pic that looks pretty good, but it took many brand new MF towels and hours to get all the smudges and steaks out. This is over an application of the Obsessive Detail Sealant, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Since I have tried diluting it half and half, and got it to be less streaking, but less glossy too. I don't know, it might just be me. I will be using this diluted on a Grey Audi son, too. In the meantime, here is a pic of a M5 I did with Klasse Twins, covered by Dodo Light Fantastic, with DP in between coats and as a final wipedown.

#5 is the DP Surface Shield. I tried to do a wipe with this on the Berlina after the Final Gloss kept streaking over Pinnacle during the first time I did my S2K. It just made it worse. I ended up waiting a day for the wax to sweat out, washed it again, and finished with Meg's QD. Sorry, no pics (I was not going to take pics of that mess!)

The current collection:
Old 12-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Former Moderator

FK 425
Optimum OID
Zaino Z8
Old 12-07-2008, 05:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wanna try the QD from Einzsett and the Z*mol Field Glaze.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 AM

I've found that Adam's and Griot's speeed shine are quite nice. I only prefer Griot's because Adam's smell gets to me after a while.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A different kind of QD spray is Aradex 4288 Spot Delivery. It is used by many high-level body shops. It's not sold OTC at parts stores, so the best source be found from a Google search or a contact with a body shop in your area.

This stuff concentrates on cleaning along with shine enhancement, and cleans bug spots and the like better than other QDs. It can be used between washes if the car is only a bit dusty without swirls. A California Duster first helps. It contains no wax or (God forbid) silicones. So it works well only on a car that has a good wax job and restores the gloss to the existing wax. It is also good to use after a new wax job to remove any haze missed by dry buffing.

The last I bought of it cost $29 for a gallon, bought from a local body shop owner I know.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:26 AM

Megs UQD, soon to try ONR dilution..

Quick Reply: Detailing spray