S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Detailing the control arms and wheel wells

Old 04-18-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detailing the control arms and wheel wells

The time has come for me to take my car cleaning to a different level.

CAUTION: Degreaser can and will strip the wax off your car's finish. Exercise great care and clean off any spills on your car immediately.

Stuffs used:

Meguiar's degreaser (mix it with one part of water)
Brush
Spray bottle
CD2 engine dresser (preferrably)
Boeshield rust free
Boeshield T9
Metal brush
Lots of rags

I wish I took pictures to show you guys. I did it at night on my driveway. It was cold and I was dead tired, so I did not bother to take any picture. Well, use your imagination then.

Here is the instruction:

Jack up the car and removing the wheels. Spray some Meguiar's degreaser inside the wheel wells and the suspension components. Use the brush to loosen the dirt. Hose it down with water. Let it air dry.

Spray CD2 on the wheel wells and wipe off the excess.

Spray Boeshield rust free on all of the control arms and wait 60 seconds. Use the metal brush to scrub them and remove as much of rust as you can(it is ok to leave some rust on the control arms, because the next step will take care of it). Wipe off the rust with rags. Spray the Boeshield T9 on the control arms generously. Let them air dry.

The Boeshield T9 will remove the remaining rust and form a layer of protective coating on them. The result is the control arms will revert back to their original color, which is black. They have become very shinny too

The protection will last for about a couple months. Next time, you probably won't need to do any scrubbing. Just clean them with degreaser and water, then spray the T9 on them to make it shinny and protected again.

Happy detailing.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good write-up!

the only thing i would add, is this is the perfect time to detail the wheels- the absolute best way to detail wheels is off the vehicle. it is amazaing how bad the backs look even when the fronts look brand new!
with the wheel off the car, wash and clean it (you might need to use a wheel cleaner like p21s) with a good brush.
hints:
1. make sure to use some old carpet or something to protect the wheels when you lay them on their face. if you lay a wheel on the ground on its face it will get scratched. so you need cardboard, or old carpet.
2. be sure to wax, or synthetic or wheel wax the insides really well before putting back on the car.
maintaining the wheels is easy, once they are completely cleaned!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow the control arms. thats alittle to much for me but good write up. Whats next, waxing the cars chassis?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:19 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm too lazy for that. I just use Griot's Undercarriage Spray
Old 04-19-2005, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by triumph87,Apr 18 2005, 05:27 PM
Wow the control arms. thats alittle to much for me but good write up. Whats next, waxing the cars chassis?
Haha....I just hate to see rust on any parts of my car. That's all.

The muz sway bar started to rust too. It was not powered coated, btw.

I sprayed some T9 on it and wiped the rust off. It was easy.

Next time, when I take my wheels off again. I will rust proof the wheel hub and the side of the rotors.

If anyone is interested in doing that, make sure you tape the surfaces of the rotors. You don't want any T9 on them.

Remember the trunk lid rust? You can use T9 to wipe it off and rust proof it, too.

I love this T9 stuff!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:20 AM

you are mad..... crazy mad........

Thomas while you are in there it's a good idea to spray some silcone on your CV boots
Old 04-19-2005, 06:30 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Boeshield is good stuff. I've never used it on my car but I use their stuff on all my woodworking tools as it contains no silicone and won't harm the finishes I use.

Mark
Old 04-19-2005, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,Apr 19 2005, 09:20 AM
you are mad..... crazy mad........

Thomas while you are in there it's a good idea to spray some silcone on your CV boots
I already did.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you clean the wheelwells if you're lowered?! I can't get 3 fingers in there much less a brush. Turn the wheels back and forth?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:55 AM

Thomas removes his tires and places his car on Jack stands to clean the wheel wells (which you don't see cause his car is lowered)

he is truly the king of OCD cleaning in new england

Quick Reply: Detailing the control arms and wheel wells