S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Detailers Anonymous: Making it through the winter months.

Old 11-06-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailers Anonymous: Making it through the winter months.

Ever since I purchased my S, I've been a little anal ( OK, overly anal ) when it comes to keeping my S in immaculate condition. I wash and detail it regularly, but with winter fast approaching, I know this is going to break my routine because of the constant threat of cold temperatures and rain or snow.

How cold is too cold to wash the S?

Should any extra care be taken when washing and waxing the S during the winter months?

I recently applied Shin-etsu <sp?> grease to the rubber seals around the top. Does anything else need to be applied to the top to care for and protect the top during the winter?

Anyone else go through withdrawal of not being able to wash or detail their S?
Old 11-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another member of the anal detailing society here-

can you wash inside your garage? (if so, you just use a lot less water- or you rinse outside and take the car inside to dry it).
the most important thing is the wax/ or synthetic finish on the car... several coats for harsh weather. note that most finishes require some level of heat to work. so get plenty of coats before winter hits and then if you can add during the winter, that would be great.
i think that p21s would be a great winter product- again, apply in the garage. it is applied and immediately removed. i use it over zaino for extra shine and protection.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by allkingz
Ever since I purchased my S, I've been a little anal ( OK, overly anal ) when it comes to keeping my S in immaculate condition .........................................
Welcome to the club, it's a small, but an elite group !

If there is no snow/ice or salt on the roads, I'll still drive my S during the winter.

I have an attached garge that remains around 55 degrees, except for on the coldest days.
I really don't wash the car that often, but almost on a daily basis use Meguiar's No. 34 Final Inspection detailing spray along with 2 Microfiber towels to clean the car. This method works only if the car is dusty, anything beyond that and the car gets washed.

If you wash the car and it is below freezing make sure your door seals are dry also. Maybe a thin layer of the grease (Shin- whatever) should be applied to the door seal to prevent freezing.

I agree with wanabe, I also use P21S. No other wax is as easy to apply or remove!

Meguiar's No. 34 Final Inspection =
http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/me...gfinin1gal.html

Microfiber towels =
http://www.pakshak.com/

P21S =
http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/p2...1spastewax.html
Old 11-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Former Moderator

It's a sickness. I love to break out the Porter Cable and the DACP or SMR. I've detailed an Infinti loaner car. I've removed the swirl marks on my mountain bike. I even paint cleansed the Spoon Xbrace that I bought used. I've used more Zaino, S100 and Final Detail/Final Inspection/Z6 this year than I care to tell. I bought stock in Pakshak (at least it feels that way).

I bought a portable propane heater to take the edge off in my garage when i am out there. My car comes out on very few days in the winter and it is covered when not being driven during those months. When it does go out, it gets a QD wipe down.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the tips and advice.

I spend so much time each week taking care of my car that I'm not sure I know what I'll do to pass the time this winter, since the weather won't allow me to detail my car as often or as thorough as I'm used to.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heated garage, less water , maybe a leaf blower, is reallly all you need..
Old 11-22-2003, 11:38 AM

What are my options if I do not have a garage? I have covered parking and my S is a daily driver unless there's more than six inches of snow on the ground. (Then I call in sick!) I'm worrying about the same. With my Prelude I just ran it through a touchless car wash once every week or two, which did a good job of blowing off 95% of the dirt without leaving behind any swirl marks that you get from soft touch washes. However this first-time convertible owner has come to understand that pressurized washes are a no-no?

If so, I'm not sure what I should do when it's 10F outside and the car's dirty!
Old 11-22-2003, 12:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

While my S2000 never sees winter duty, and spends 6 months of the year bundles up in a heated garage, I do, believe it or not have a daily driver, and am very anal about it's condition.

When the roads are wet/slushy/salt covered, the Tundra gets a rinse at a wand/car wash each and every day. Just $1-$2 will keep the grime off the truck, and keep the elements from marring the clear coat.

When the temperatures dip below -15C -20C, I take the truck to the same car wash (less busy on such days), give it a rinse, then use my Zaino soap and lambswool mitt to give it a hand wash. I choose not to use the foamy-brush provided by the car wash, since these are often old, coarse, and laden with crud from other people's vehicles. Indeed, I have used one of these on occasion to scrub down the underbelly of my truck. Another rinse, and a wax for good measure, and I usually chamois it off. Remember to blow out the locks and such to prevent freezing in such cold weather. While most car washes don't approve of bucket washing/drying in their bays, they don't usually say anything when you are the only silly person in their facility.

I know most S2000 owners, myself included frown upon pressure washing the cars, however if you maintain a safe distance from most seams/seals, you should be alright. Choices for washing your car are very limited in the winter

Asif
Old 11-24-2003, 05:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have in the past been known to wash my cars when there is snow in the air;however I've found that washing outside when it's below 20 degrees usually results in the water/soap solution freezing up before you get a chance to rinse.Also the windows tend to freeze 1st and often you'll get ice on your chamois.

Lot's of challenges when washing in colder climates
Old 11-24-2003, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when in 10F and my car is dirty, simple, I drive it dirty

Quick Reply: Detailers Anonymous: Making it through the winter months.