S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Detailed a modified NSX today! Plenty of pictures!

Old 08-09-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailed a modified NSX today! Plenty of pictures!

Well this is what I detailed today:

And here is the process I went through. I spent about 11 hours on it.

I started by washing the car with Dawn and a genuine sheepskin wash mitt to remove any previous wax:

I dried the car with a waffle weave micro fiber towel from Pakshak:

I then clayed the entire car incluing the windows and wheels:

After claying the car, I washed and dried it again

I made sure to dry all the areas of the car including the door jambs and so on:

I moved on to the polishing. I started with the greed edge pad with the PoorBoy's SSR2.5:

After removing the SSR2 polish, I used the orange pad with the PB's SSR1:

Next I put a coat of synthetic Zaino Z5:

I also applied the wax to the wheels as well.

While removing the wax with a waffle weave towel, I also carried around a tooth brush to remove any wax buildups or polish from the cracks or seals:

The next step was to vacuum the interior:

I used Folex to clean the carpets:

Detailed the interior:

Used Zaino Leather cleaner and conditioner:

Used Zaino Tire gloss:

I also used Stoner's glass cleaner for the windows. I finished the paint up with Zaino's Grand Finale Spray.

Here are some after pictures:

The main reason I took so many pictures is because I am going to be a vendor at a car show this weekend and I wanted to have some step by step photos to show people. This is also going to go on my website once I am finished with it. I hope you guys enjoy!

--Mark
Old 08-09-2006, 07:43 PM

I detailed a friends car in exchange for these pictures.

There are a few steps that I missed but this is the main part.

I did not get to really detail the motor but here is a pic of it.

Its a twin turbo btw. I will say its in the 400's since I am unsure of the exact numbers at certain PSI.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:02 PM

That is certainly a HIGHLY modified NSX. You weren't kidding!

Nice work on that car Mark! I do have one question though. I'm a little confused by your pad/polish selection. You started with SSR2 and a green pad and then moved to SSR1 with an orange pad. As you know, I have the Edge system as well and my understanding is that the green is a polishing pad and the orange a light cutting pad. So, I'm thinking an orange pad is a little aggressive to use with SSR1 if you preceeded it with SSR2.

No offense, but what I'm thinking is that you may have improved your results with a slightly different pad/polish selection. Starting with SSR2/Green was a good move. If that took out the imperfections in the paint and didn't leave buffer haze then I would have jumped down to SSR1 and a blue or white pad. If there was buffer haze then I would use SSR1/Green. Remember the Edge pads are 2-sided so you could just flip it over! Using a less aggressive pad with your finishing polish (SSR1) will give you a wetter, deeper shine after polishing.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:14 PM

Well the reason for that was when I started washing the car, it was a little after 7am. The sun was not all the way up and I saw very little swirls. I hit it with the green pad and was planning on using a white or blue finishing pad with the SSR1. Later on, the sun hit the car in just the right light and I noticed quite a few more swirls than I thought there would be.

The green pad is a medium cutting pad and the orange is a light cutting pad. Since I noticed a few more swirls I decided to step up the pad just a little to try to knock out a few more swirls. Thats why I went one step above the finishing pads using the orange pad with SSR1.

Here is a link to the pads. Im sure you already know about most of this, but just for reference here it is:

Edge Pads
Old 08-09-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice job and great report!!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:17 PM

that car is gorgeous

nice job, i noticed very little orange peel, is that car a repaint or has the orange peel been taken out by wetsanding or some other method. My biggest pet peave/annoyance about cars is orange peel so I was just curious
Old 08-09-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that a credit card wrapped in a microfiber towel to take out excess wax out of cracks and crannies is less abrasive than a toothbrush for finsih work. Otherwise it turned out GREAT
Old 08-09-2006, 09:36 PM

I noticed you did the exterior first then the interior. Is there a good reason for this or can you do it any way you like?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 PM

outcrnru: the car has a wide body kit pieced together. I cannot recall all the names though. But that is not the original paint on that car.

thetz99: That sound like a great idea. I may have to give that a shot. I do usually try to keep the toothbrush off the paint though. If I am on the paint it is in the cracks and I try to be very light with it. It works pretty well on the black seals for that caked on wax though.

Beaver: I suppose you could do it either way. I like doing the inside after the outside, that way if you need to move the car around to wash it, you dont have to worry so much about getting the floormats and interior wet/muddy from the wash. Just my opinion though. I have always done it like this so I guess its also just habbit.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:58 PM

Mark, that car is beautiful. you did a great job.

Quick Reply: Detailed a modified NSX today! Plenty of pictures!