S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Dealer installed "Finishing Touch"

Old 05-19-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer installed "Finishing Touch"

What do you guys this of this product? I beat down the finance manager for this dealer installed option... I think I can still be able to Zaino!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my experience has been anything placed on exterior or interior from the dealerships are of cheap quality. I've always removed everything and applied Zaino.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Dealer installed "Finishing Touch"
A better name for this would be ..............................

Dealer installed "Hands in your pockets, yanking out big wads of money for something that costs them 3 bucks in product and 50 bucks in labour to make you feel warm and cuddly about your car and make them laugh all the way to the bank Touch".
Old 05-19-2006, 09:22 AM

eh.... what to do!?!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's your car and your money and time. I suggest you read the "fine print" carefully. Many of these so-called "lifetime guaranteed" paint protectants require that you go back to an authorized dealer for annual inspections (AT YOUR EXPENSE) and if necessary, have a "touch up" (re-application AT YOUR EXPENSE). You will also want to see if there is anything that will void the warrantee if you do something like "Zaino" the car.
I wasn't kidding about the 3 buck product. I used to hang out with a regional rep for a similar product that was sold to Honda dealers. He gave me a bottle of product for 10 bucks (the dealer charged as much as $200.00 per car to have this done). I ended up doing 1/6 dozen cars before I ran out. Oh, and it only lasted less than 2 years before it needed more attention to bring back the shine. You would be far better off to take the car to a local detailing shop and have them actually do a really nice "wax job" once a year. That is, if you simply don't have the time. Otherwise, doing a "wax job" yourself a couple times a year will produce just as good, if not better results.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:46 AM

time to beat the dealer over the head for a refund! so naive...
Old 05-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Former Moderator

I just picked up my recent Accord with the plastic still on it. I told them not to touch anything. Took it home, immediately clayed and Zainoed it. It looks awesome.

The dealer installed stuff is nothing more than a huge profit center with average to crappy products. Even if it was free I wouldn't use it.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

There are guys over on Autopia that do this for stealerships. They pay a few dollars (if that) for product, spend 1/2 hr applying and removing it and charge the dealer $100 (if that). It's just a synthetic sealant they buy by the gallon from a chemical distributor like Chemical Guys.

Pass.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:16 PM

I agree, this isn't anything spectacular. They'll have one of their techs put some type of product (usually low quality sealant) on the paint. And if you've read the boards here a lot, you know that you risk ending up with what is commonly referred to as "dealer-installed swirls". Meaning, it will come out looking like they washed it with a brillow pad. Any type of sealant applied to the exterior of the car is going to need to be reapplied from time to time. Even the best stuff does because it's constantly in contact with the elements.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of cleaning/polishing/waxing my own car, which is what I'd recommend you do. Just learn how to apply them correctly from reading this board and you'll have a new looking vehicle for a long time.

If it were me, I'd see if there was a way you could have the dealer throw in something like a clear bra installation. Tell him you are passing on the Finishing Touch, but would like a clear bra instead. That will keep rock chips off the front of your car. In my mind that's a lot more useful than what they're giving you.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:24 PM

If you spent even a single dollar on this then you spent WAY too much.

Quick Reply: Dealer installed "Finishing Touch"