S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

dealer applied paint sealant

Old 01-24-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new blk/blk SK2 came with "auto armor" dealer applied sealant. I've been reading about "polish" "seal" and "wax". If I "polish" will it do anything to the sealant. Do I need to "polish" and "seal". What's I'm asking is "what's the best way to keep this Black Beast looking outstanding?"
Thanks
mark
Old 01-24-2001, 10:18 AM

Don't know much about the dealer sealant, but I do know that my fiancee just bought a 2000 Civic and had the sealant applied. They told her to wait a little while (maybe a few weeks??) before polishing it.

For the best shine around, use Zaino Z1, Z2, Z6, and Z7 products. They're awesome! http://www.zainobros.com

[Edited by VA S2K on 01-24-2001 at 11:20 AM]
Old 01-24-2001, 11:48 AM

I second the Zaino recommendation. I just put it on for the first time last week (first wash of car since purchase) and after 2 coats the Stook was absolutely stunning! Stuff is so slick dirt just slides right off.
Old 01-24-2001, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also got my paint sealant done recently by my dealer, along with the installation of a new trunk spoiler, and they told me that you shouldn't wax for five years. I forgot exactly what they told me next, but they said something like they will have the car repainted for free if the car ends up getting faded later (anybody know the warranty on this?). For the first few months just wash the car only with water, then after you can use car soap to wash it. I would agree to wait a few weeks before polishing the car.

So you also got a black/black S2k? Awsome!
Old 01-25-2001, 05:00 PM

I was told by my dealer that the put "Automate" Teflon coating on my car. Thay said I should have it reapplied every 6 months Anybody heard of this stuff??
Old 01-25-2001, 07:13 PM

I will third the Zaino Bros. recomendation. 2 weeks after delivery, I applied Z1, 3 coats of Z5 then a coat of Z2. Not a "swirlie" or spider web in site. Just wash with Z7 every week . Lovely...

Mark
Old 01-30-2001, 12:47 PM

First off, the paint treatment only blocks the paint from UV light. It does not keep your car shiney forever. I too had what is called "Perma-Plate" which warranties the paint, the dash, the leather seats and the under carriage. When I picked it up they gave me a certificate with the date, the dealer that installed it and the terms of the warranty on it. If you didn't get anything like that, it could be hard to make them repaint your car if it ever fades.

VA S2K I like the look of your car in the pic. I use Zymol and my car seems a similar shine. Have you ever used Zymol products? If so, how does Zymol compare to Zaino?
Old 01-31-2001, 11:45 AM

Dorian Grey, I also have the Automate teflon on my car. The dealer said it was warranted for 5 years and no need for re-application. I don't know much about the product but I'm sure I'll feel the need to use another after wash product.
Old 02-04-2001, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dorian Gray
I was told by my dealer that the put "Automate" Teflon coating on my car.
Here's a warning about teflon from a car care maintenance site:

http://www.executivecleancar.com/tech_info.htm

** A WARNING ABOUT TEFLON **

Many auto care product manufacturers advertise Teflon waxes, sealants, and polishes as lasting for unrealistic lengths of time, protecting your vehicle's finish for anywhere from one to five years or longer. The general public often believes this false claim, reasoning that a frying pan coating would certainly protect their vehicle's paint. However, DuPont (the maker of Teflon) issued a bulletin to dealers stating that this floral polymer resin must be baked onto a surface with a high heat process or chemically etched before adhering to any surface. Rarely adhering to a vehicle's finish, Teflon has a dull, flat appearance. If DuPont meant Teflon to be used as a wax, they would have a patent on it and would be the only company selling Teflon wax or sealant. But many wax manufacturers purchase Teflon resin from DuPont in one of its hundreds of forms. They then put the smallest amount possible into a container of wax or sealant to legally call it a Teflon sealant. Since Teflon is ineffective as a finish protector, these advertisements simply are gimmicks.

As far as I can tell, the only long term effect of dealer applied "permanent waxes" or "sealants" is a dent in your bank account. I'd walk away from any S2000 deal that had one nickel for paint sealant, fabric sealant, undercoating or pin stripes. All these are gimmicks designed to help the dealer's profit, not the buyer's investment.
Old 02-05-2001, 09:38 AM

My car came with finish protectant as a forced option. I applied Zymol Polish for the first few months and followed with HD Cleanse / Japon yesterday. Looks fantastic. It is unlikely that I will use anything else. I'm hooked on Zymol.

Quick Reply: dealer applied paint sealant