S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Cover with viewing windows for plate and hang tag

Old 08-13-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cover with viewing windows for plate and hang tag

I apologize in advance -- I know there are a million threads about car cover recommendations but I searched and couldn't find anything on this specific need.

My S2K is going to be parked in a parking garage (attached to my condo) where the management requires a hang tag to be visible from the rear view mirror and the license plates need to be visible. Does anyone know of a good quality car cover that has clear windows to allow these things to be visible? Preferably I'd buy an outdoor cover because I may want to use it in a second, outdoor location from time to time.

Suggestions anyone?
Old 08-14-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I cannot think of one off hand. You could just pull the front and rear of the cover up enough to show the plates. As far as the hang tag, put it into a waterproof bag or laminate it and use some 3M tape or pin it to the cover near your mirror.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 AM

Thank you, I thought about those options. The problem is that the hang tag is an annual purchase and has intrinsic value of its own. My garage is in an downtown area that includes an arena and multiple theaters so if it's not inside the car someone will likely swipe it for free parking.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

If you know someone that is a good seamstress you could have them cut out a square section of the cover (with a finished edge to keep from fraying) where your tag will show from inside the car. If there is a certain number associated with your parking space see if they will accept the number being written on the cover, CoverCraft will even do custom imprinting if you want to go this route.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:54 AM

Well, I think I found one option from the UK. These guys' "Advan-tex" covers can be custom made with viewing windows for parking permits, license plates or both. Anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/advantex.html
Old 08-14-2015, 11:07 AM

The seamstress idea was my next and last resort. As for talking to the parking people, I already tried that and got a "tough luck" answer. This particular parking tag is for a reserved, underground area of the garage - not a reserved spot. The balance of the structure is public parking. So they insist on being able to see your tag so they know you're supposed to be there. Since the garage is patrolled by an army of high-turnover, part-time employees (who cover a dozen or more garages in the City) they can't rely on anyone using common sense or judgement to ID a specific car.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Or just sew a clear, sealed pouch into the cover? I am in the same predicament as you, but opted to leave it un-covered. Dust can just wash off. A car with a cover is more intriguing to thieves than an uncovered car...
Old 08-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,235 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Photograph it and print it as a JPG on photo paper and put it in an envelope sewn into the cover accessible from inside the cover. It'll look real. May take a few tries to get the scale right but it's not that hard. I know folks with 4 vehicles and only two yacht club window stickers...

Or have plastic windows windows sewn in the cover. Any sail maker can do it and probably any canvas/awning shop.

-- Chuck