S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

couple quick questions on overall washing

Old 01-19-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple quick questions on overall washing

Hey guys, recently got a berlina black s2k and looking for some tips on how to keep it clean, seems like everytime i clean it it looks worse....

Ive been using meguirs gold class car wash and some cheap sponge i got for a dollar at walmart and drying with the absorber. Its been leaving these rainbowish looking streaks when i try to dry it and sometimes a bunch of white spots everywhere. just wondering whats THE car wash soap to use and THE best method of drying.

I would take the time to try and wax my car and use all those buffers and cool tools you detailers use but i dont want to get involved in something i have NO idea about, but unfortunately my car has a bunch of swirls
Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Megs Gold Class is a very good car wash. I use it primarily. There are better ones, but for OTC, it's great.

GET RID OF THE SPONGE!

Get yourself a good genuine lambswool or a chenille wash mit.
Use the two bucket method for washing (one bucket for soap, one for rinse). Get yourself a grit guard for the buckets as well.

The Absorber is ok but once I learned how much better a waffle weave towel is, I never looked back. A waffle weave microfiber towel like the ones at detailersdomain are fantastic. I just got one of their red ones and it works even better than the one I had before.

If you have the money for it, get yourself a PorterCable. It's almost impossible to hurt your paint and makes a word of difference for removing swirls. WELL worth the cost for a beginner wash/wax wacko
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and dont cheap out on products that touch the paint!!

sounds like you need to do a swirl removal- best way to learn that is to post up in your local forum and offer to supply refreshments if someone will supply the machine and know how, and tell you what polishes to buy... this has always been my most popular tip- if you try it, be sure to post up pics of the process and tell us how it went for you-

also be sure to watch the videos on how to polish in our how tos thread (top of our board)
Old 01-30-2008, 01:56 PM
bcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short of using the leaf blower to dry the car, I'll use the waffle weave towel as well.

I still have some zymol car wash that I am finishing off. And I have some P21s wash that I'm going to try soon. Otherwise I use the megs gold class.

Just limiting to washing and drying aren't going to improve the look of your paint...even when you use better quality items. Granted, they will help in not making it worse.

You should really consider picking up a Porter Cable. Everyone started out as a newb on this stuff. There are plenty of videos that really help in how to use it.

Your car will thank you. Especially when it's a black car.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I useMegs gold class as well sometimes, but then again, I have 3 or 4 different soaps, plus a mixture I'm working on for the super hard to clean areas.

I dry my car with a water blade and/or the Cobra guzzler towels. They hold alot of water!

I agree with the above comments on gewtting a PC. I got it to remove scratches/swirls, and have used it for applying glaze, and will use it to remove scratches in my glass. One of the best investments I have made in car care. period.

Ditch the sponge and get a good quality wash mitt. The Schmitt is supposed to be good (need to get one, autogeek.net has them), but I have a terry wash mitt, and a microfiber/chenille mitt as well.

As far as products, you get what you pay for. I used to use whatever was cheap OTC, but as I learned more, I started ordering supplies online, and even buy some stuff in bulk (like QD, because I use it alot).

Claying I usually do twice a year, after winter, and during early fall. Polishing will do the trick as well.

Don't be afraid to try out some better products, and ask all the questions you need. I learned alot myself over the past year, and I am a bigger w&w wacko than ever before.

Welcome aboard and I hope we can help
Old 01-30-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How to wash your car:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=75...owcargarage.com
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

detailing- the how to's (step by step), including the mikeyc guide!:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221878
Old 02-01-2008, 12:32 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts