S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Couple questions wax/sealants

Old 04-14-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple questions wax/sealants

I want to try a few new products. Ive read as much as I can on here and web reviews, but am still confused on a few things. I dont mimd waxing or cleaning once every 2-3 months. Im kind of lazy, but do enjoy cleaning the car, but just not a multiple day processes. Also, I dont want to spend hundreds on products.

From what I gathered, wash, clay bar, a good polish, sealant (looking at Wolfgang), than maybe P21S on top. Does this seem right? Are the metioned products easy to apply and remove? Also is Rejex a sealant?

The car is spa and the paint is not in bad shape. Ive always been satisfied with NXT, but it just doesnt last long at all. In between waxes I used to use a spray wax product called Ace it which wasnt to bad.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:47 AM

I think you're on the right track. If I were you I'd keep using the NXT and top it off with a synthetic sealant, as the NXT has some cleaning effect to it. As long as your paint is in decent shape (Which you say it is), then you won't need an aggressive polish. I've recently started using Menzerna FMJ, and I want everyone on S2KI to use it now. It's awesome to work with, and no matter what quality MF you use (DON'T scratch the paint though) it's by far the easiest product to remove that I've ever used.

If you like the look of NXT, then you'll love the look of FMJ, and it makes your car slick as ice.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Incubus,Apr 14 2007, 11:47 AM
If you like the look of NXT, then you'll love the look of FMJ, and it makes your car slick as ice.
How long does FMJ last for you? How's the durability compare to other sealants like Zaino and Klasse SG?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Incubus,Apr 14 2007, 11:47 AM
...I've recently started using Menzerna FMJ, and I want everyone on S2KI to use it now. It's awesome to work with, and no matter what quality MF you use (DON'T scratch the paint though) it's by far the easiest product to remove that I've ever used.

LOL! Everytime I hit my wife's car with the FMJ, she complains about breaking a fingernail when her hand slips on the door handle.

I've been using it for a couple of years, and I have to say that it would be impossible for a product to be any easier to use.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Incubus,Apr 14 2007, 12:47 PM
I think you're on the right track. If I were you I'd keep using the NXT and top it off with a synthetic sealant, as the NXT has some cleaning effect to it. As long as your paint is in decent shape (Which you say it is), then you won't need an aggressive polish. I've recently started using Menzerna FMJ, and I want everyone on S2KI to use it now. It's awesome to work with, and no matter what quality MF you use (DON'T scratch the paint though) it's by far the easiest product to remove that I've ever used.

Shouldnt the sealant be used first than wax?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:28 PM

I just tried something new as well, I also like the nxt look. I topped it with a caranuba wax like p21, I used mother's gold pure caranuba. Two coats on top of nxt. Looks great. I will see how long it lasts compared to just nxt. I washed it today and still silky smooth. Good luck and get your badge when you are done.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Former Moderator

I'd scrap the NXT and go with a non cleaner-type sealant.

Wolfgang, FMJ, EX-P, Zaino, and 4*upp are all good choices
Old 04-22-2007, 06:45 PM

Just used Menzerna wash, clay, Polish II, Final Glaze, and FMJ. Paint looks and feels great. I pulled up to a gas station and the guy asked if I just bought it. Another s2k member asked how much it cost, I asked him what. He said the paint job. Im very satisfied. Very easy to use, easy on and off, no residue.

Only question is I thought someone said to leave the fmj for 12 hours or something, but the instructions say nothing. I tried P21s carnuba over a small spot after the FMJ, but it didnt seem to make it better so I scrapped the idea.

Now let just see how long it lasts After 2 days and 300 miles, still looks great, but the rear bumper still catches all the road dust.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Here's the problem I've found with NXT. First it is a PIA to buff off. Second, it leaves such a hard and brittle finish that one gets small scratches and swirils in the NXT itself -- and not in the clearcoat. There are a number of good "sealants" or "glazes" that, if not waxed over, will come off in the next wash. But of course, they are MEANT to be waxed over, so no problem. Their prupose is to hide imperfections beneath the wax coat. The best I've found so far is Autoglym Radiant Polish. Problem? It is sold only through distributors who sell to body shops. So it will take some research on your part to find this stuff. It is made in England, and when you put it on your car will look unbelievably great! But, it does wash off if not waxed over, as I said. Over it, any good Pure (no cleaners) carnauba would be fine. PS 21 does not put out crap, so anything they sell should be good.

The main point I'm trying to make is that use of these glazes as an intermediate step after cleaning and before waxing is very quick and very worthwhile (maybe 10 minutes for an s2k). And, it makes the wax easier to apply and buff off, so the 10 minutes extra time goes away.

I had waxed my s2k in this manner, and attended an s2k meet this weekend. The folks that had the full Zaino finish on their cars came up to me and said "damn, what is that!"

Enough said.

Thanks,
Richard