S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Convertible Top Cleaner

Old 09-17-2005, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Cleaner

I don't want to get flamed for not using the search, and I know convertable top cleaners have been talked about thread after thread, but what I saw the other day was amazing.

I was driving behind a porsche boxter in the rain. When I looked at his top, the water was beading up and sliding off like it was on glass with a fresh coat of rain-x. What was this guys using? I want it!
Old 09-17-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

most of the products that we discuss will cause water to bead off-
303, vinylex, raggtopp...

fabric tops require different products (in my opinion are harder to care for than vinyl, like ours). all porsche tops are fabric, not vinyl. i use only raggtopp on cloth tops- it is a p.i.a. (have to cover the car with a sheet under the top to keep the stuff off of the car).

which product are you using on your top?
Old 09-17-2005, 01:13 PM

I've been washing the top with the same car wash soap that I wash my car with. That's probably not good!

I did just get a new top on last week, because I got wear holes behind the driver and passenger windows. So I need to know what to get to best care for the new top.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I use Raggtop on both my Porsche and S2000, just make sure you get the vinyl one for the S2000. Really just pick your favorite vinyl proctectant with uv protection and apply as needed.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pilotchris- my thoughts:

1. o.k. to use the same shampoo on the top that you use on the car if its a good quality product and your top has "normal" dirt. you can buy a top shampoo if you want (i use a porsche top shampoo sometimes and have used it on car bodies too), but imo usually not necessary.

2. use one of the products i mentioned above (either vinylex, 303 or raggtopp)- and as boughtans2k mentions if you get raggtopp, get the vinyl one.

3. do not spray the products above on the top- spray them on a rag and soak it (after you have washed and dried the top)... rub the top down really well and let it sit. i do the rest of my car at this point. then buff it with a clean rag (i do this twice usually).

your top should look and act like new always with this procedure!
Old 09-18-2005, 11:54 AM

Excellent! I'm going to get some of the raggtopp vinyl.

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 09-18-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by PilotChris,Sep 18 2005, 11:54 AM
Excellent! I'm going to get some of the raggtopp vinyl.

Thanks a lot guys!
yes thank you guys. I just order some raggtop vinyl as well

Old 09-22-2005, 07:41 AM

I spray my raggtop on a foam tire shine pad, the squared type ones then apply it to the convertible top. These foams seen to absorb alot of liquid so it's really good to use and apply on the top, Raggtop is a great product. Really noticable afterward compared to before...
Old 09-30-2005, 11:21 AM

I didn't realize Raggtop made a vinyl and I have for fabric. I have the set with cleaner and protector both. Used the cleaner once and the protector twice. The water beads up very nicely and the top looks black again, it was getting a bit faded looking.

What's the difference between for vinyl and for fabric? When I touch the top, I thought it was fabric. I thought vinyl was the smooth immitation leather material.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Reds2kracer,Sep 22 2005, 08:41 AM
I spray my raggtop on a foam tire shine pad, the squared type ones then apply it to the convertible top. These foams seen to absorb alot of liquid so it's really good to use and apply on the top, Raggtop is a great product. Really noticable afterward compared to before...
I do exactly that and it's much blacker

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Cleaner