S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Convertible Seals Leaking?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Convertible Seals Leaking?

i hand wash my car and i've noticed the last 4 to 5 washes that there's water entering the drivers side window. intially it was a small drip that didn't bother me and now its medium size drip, the weird thing is when it rains the water never comes in, its only when i wash the car.

is this something to really worry about, is this something than happens to 1 out of 2 S2000, and should i take it to the dealer asap because i've got 25.5k on the car?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's not getting in when it rains then I wouldn't worry about it. Your probably spraying a jet of water against the seal the pressure of which pushes it aside and lets a little water in. You don't get the same kind of pressure with rain. So, just don't spray water directly at the seals and you'll be OK.

Also, be sure to treat your seals with Shin-Etsu grease at least once a year to make sure they stay soft and pliable.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the shin-etsu will also "plump up" your rubber, which can help prevent water leaks- the rubber absorbs some of the grease which helps it from drying out, as mikeyc said.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:48 PM

thanks guys!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree-don't let the dealer touch anything that you can comfortably live with.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:29 AM

I read somewhere that if you close the door by "pushing" the glass, it can misalign the window and cause leaks around the window seals...
Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ESSMM,Oct 31 2007, 02:29 PM
I read somewhere that if you close the door by "pushing" the glass, it can misalign the window and cause leaks around the window seals...
I wouldn't recommend closing the door by pushing on the glass anyway. It leaves finger prints!!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on where it is leaking, it also could be the seal has slid on the mounting track a little too.

My driver side seal was leaking right where the first seam comes together along the top side of the glass. I could see the rubber was a little warped so after trying Shin-Etsu with no luck, I bought a new front piece seal. Replaced it and it still leaked. So while poking around, I grabbed the second piece and slid it forward just a hair and that solved the problem immediately.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sabre,Oct 31 2007, 08:19 PM
Depending on where it is leaking, it also could be the seal has slid on the mounting track a little too.

My driver side seal was leaking right where the first seam comes together along the top side of the glass. I could see the rubber was a little warped so after trying Shin-Etsu with no luck, I bought a new front piece seal. Replaced it and it still leaked. So while poking around, I grabbed the second piece and slid it forward just a hair and that solved the problem immediately.
i washed the car again yesterday and this time the water was coming down like i opened a faucet to wash my hands instead of droplets. actually the droplets was after it passed the water jets in the car wash.

i inspected the driver side rubber seals and from what i could see the adhesive connecting the seals to the metal skeleton of the top was no longer connected compared to the passenger door which was sealed tight. also there is a break in our window seals because its not one piece but two. the gap between the two seals on the driver side is bigger than the one on the passeenger side.

what i tried to do was push the seals back into the metal skeleton and it looked better but i won't know until i wash the car again. also, i plan on purchasing the grease today, i'm assuming you apply the grease to where there is rubber?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver,Nov 1 2007, 10:56 AM
i washed the car again yesterday and this time the water was coming down like i opened a faucet to wash my hands instead of droplets. actually the droplets was after it passed the water jets in the car wash.
You took a converible through a car wash? That's a big As you've found out it ruins the rubber seals on the top. The water pressure is just too much for them and the chemicals used are very harsh.

Quick Reply: Convertible Seals Leaking?