S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Conv Top?

Old 07-27-2002, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conv Top?

Hey guys, I was just wondering...
What is the best way to clean the convertible top and what's the best way to protect if from the sun?
Thanks!
Old 07-28-2002, 05:23 AM

I use 3M's 303 cleaner and protectant. If you can't find them locally, try www.properautocare.com. They have a bunch of great car care products.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:19 AM

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2002, 12:35 PM

You can use either the Raggtopp cleaner or the Haartz brand name cleaner and then seal the top with the Raggtopp sealant or the 303 Fabric Guard Sealant. I stock both brand names for 25.00 plus shipping. Here is the process:
A properly maintained cloth top should bead water AT ALL times, if it does not the cloth sealant applied to it at the http://www.haartz.com factory has broken down leaving the top material prone to staining and discoloration. The 303 Fabric Guard and Raggtopp is invisible and will reseal the top material.

Important: A program of keeping the top clean through regular washings BEFORE it gets dirty, will enhance the life and beauty of an acrylic top and make successive cleaning easier.

Most automatic car washes will not harm sport topping fabrics. Washes with water jets and hanging cloths are preferred. Those using heavy barrel brushes should be avoided. Haartz recommends hand washing in the shade or partial shade, not direct sunlight.

Bird and tree droppings as well as other loose particle soils should be removed immediately. Vacuum the top with a brush attachment and rinse the roof fabric thoroughly with water to remove these loose particle soils. This will also prevent the soils from being redeposited during the cleaning process. Once the top has been rinsed thoroughly, spray apply Haartz Roof Cleaner/Raggtopp evenly over the entire top while the top is still wet. Washing with soap and warm water is a safe alternative to Haartz Roof Cleaner/Raggtopp, but not as effective. DO NOT USE DETERGENTS. Allow the roof cleaner to soak into the top for 10 to 20 minutes and then scrub the top lightly with a soft nylon brush or terry cloth rag. Rinse thoroughly, preferably until no remaining soap foam is observed. Allow to dry. Additional cleaning may be required. It is best to determine this after the top has dried completely. After drying, cleaning must be followed by re-water repelling the fabric with a fluorocarbon system such as 303 High Tech Fabric Guard/Raggtopp . Failure to do so will result in rapid resoiling of the unprotected fabric.

The fabric itself does not promote mildew growth. However, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed from the fabric. For these more stubborn cases, soak the fabric for approximately 20 minutes in a solution of no more than
Old 07-28-2002, 12:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just wash it along with the rest of the car (car wash soap). I'm sorta surprised that not everyone does this. With the exception of putting some kind of protectant on it twice a year, nothing else needs to be done and my top looks like new.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]I just wash it along with the rest of the car (car wash soap).
Old 07-28-2002, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by VinceD

xviper, didn't you say in one of your posts (can't remember) that you use Armorall "Low Gloss" Protectant? I've been looking for that specific Armorall but can't find it in stores. Now that I'm thinking of it, I could check the Armorall website...probably do that after this.

If your top is a cloth type materail you do not want to use a product like AA which contains silicone on the cloth.

See my post above:

"Do NOT use top dressing cleaners or conditioners containing silicones, organic solvents, petroleum distillates or plasticizers that may permanently stain the fabric" (this means no AA, no Eagle One Wet, etc. etc.)
Old 07-28-2002, 01:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin Overall
[B]

If your top is a cloth type materail you do not want to use a product like AA which contains silicone on the cloth.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin Overall
[B]

Old 07-28-2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by VinceD

xviper, didn't you say in one of your posts (can't remember) that you use Armorall "Low Gloss" Protectant? I've been looking for that specific Armorall but can't find it in stores. Now that I'm thinking of it, I could check the Armorall website...probably do that after this.
Yes, you remember correctly - "Low Gloss" ArmourAll. I don't usually push this too much as a few people, for whatever reason that they cannot personally bear witness to (just "I have heard"), do not like ArmourAll and I've gotten some flack over it. I've used it for almost 2 years on my top with terrific results.

Quick Reply: Conv Top?