S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Consumer Reports Ratings on Wax

Old 06-05-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Consumer Reports Ratings on Wax

Has anyone else seen the Consumer Reports ratings on Car Waxes? I was quite surprised by their results.

First of all their evaluation of the Meguiar's Liquid Waxes are spot on. They rated Gold Class number 6 out of seventeen. NXT came in a few slots below at number 9. Their ratings and comments pretty much match the evaluations that I have seen posted on this board about their durability.

The big surprise are the results of numbers 1, Black Magic Wet Shine, and number 2, Turtle Wax Carnuba T-6. Both received high marks in durability and gloss.

Another big surpise are where two of Griot's Garages Waxes finished. Taking numbers, 11, Best of Show , and 12, Paint Sealant.

Two other Turtle waxes was evaluated, they scraped the bottom. Turtle Wax F21 T-27R at number 16, and Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell at number 17.

Any comments about these evalutions? Has anyone tried Black Magic or Turtle Wax Carnuba?

Old 06-05-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good report on the consumer reports report-

i prefer the guru reports...

imo, consumer reports seems to lean more towards the commercial products- guru seems a bit less biased (again, just my opinion).

http://www.gurureports.org/

or

http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/guru.asp?navbar=guru

------

updated post:

gurureports is sold out, but sportscarcare.com still has a few copies-
Old 06-05-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that. I too was bummed at the placement of the Griots Garage waxes. I really want to look at the way that everything was evaluated so I can see where they say it was strong and weak.

Jon
Old 06-05-2006, 06:32 PM

Arrow

Thanks for the info. I am still intrigued by the results and may wind up trying the two winners.

I have been really happy with Gold Class and NXT and according to Consumer Reports tests, Black Magic and Turtle Wax Carnuba bested them in both durablility and gloss!

From the selection of waxes that Consumer Reports chose, it looks like that did stick with consumer readily available waxes that could be purchased in may retail outlets. That's why there are many that were left off.

But I think their selection is pretty good and is a good cross-section.

The reports look good, but for the price of those reports I can buy and try these waxes.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Former Moderator

Their methods are a joke. They love cleaner waxes for the masses that never wash their cars.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

man i just checked out that forum (roadfly guru reports)... it's a zainofest. and lately an FK fest, as well... *shrug*

I like that here and on Autopia you're got a lot more discussion of a lot more products that get the job done. There are many paths to the subjective finish you seek
Old 06-06-2006, 04:41 AM
Former Moderator

I find Roadfly almost fanatical and part of the hot LSP of the month club. Autopia used to be like that too but it has settled down finally.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:24 AM

I don't put much stock in what Consumer Reports says about waxes. The aspects of wax performance which they emphasize like cleaning ability and durability are meaningless to me. Personally, I feel bad for not only the companies that were left out of the test but also the companies which make really good waxes but received low CR ratings. There are a lot of yahoos who actually swear by what CR says so this test undoubtedly will hurt the sales of several waxes which are actually very good.

I'm not a big fan of Roadfly's detailing forum either. I almost never read it. It's infested with Zaino zombies and members of the "hot product of the month club." Personally, I don't like the Guru reports much either. Like CR they emphasize aspects of the products which are not important to me (at least in the wax report). IMO the most accurate report they put out was the glass cleaner report.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#2 rated Canuba on durability ...??? huh?

Few years back they rated this prestone stuff as #2. it was special order only for a short time. Bullet wax i believe. It was a very harsh cleaner wax, but did provide a good shine.

Since i wash my car a lot I do prefer a more gentle wax. i'll let a good carnuba layer on top of that do the talking.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 AM

I remember that bit about the Prestone bullet wax. A few months after the review I could find it in the discount outlet stores. I bought one and it was a mess. I think it had been frozen, which might explain why it was partially separated. I didn't try it again.

I am all for anyone who can cut through the hype and crap that I read about the latest, greatest, shinest ... wax with no comprehensive proof.

Does anyone know how to rate cleaners in wax in terms of abrasiveness?

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Ratings on Wax