S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Confused as all heck!

Old 07-06-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused as all heck!

Confused as all heck here. I'd like to get a PC machine if it will help me. I use the Klasse AIO and their GS and top with carnuba; the Autogeeks "forum favorite" package. I like the look, but not the work, with my arthritis. Having done this by hand once, and having spend 2 days, and then 2 days resting, I'm ready for a better way.

If you all would indulge me, there is WAY too much info in the stickies for my addled old brain to assimilate.

1. Will a PC be useful with my choice of products? If so, what model and pads should I start with?

2. Is it a bad idea to learn to use a PC on a new S2000? Should I do the +1s CRV first?

3. How difficult is pad maintenance, and how often are pads replaced.

4. Any specific instructions/recommendations for using this bad boy with AIO or other Klasse products?

5. If I continure to ogle other local cars with Zaino, will I have to purchase different pads, or can I clean the AIO off enough to not interfere?

6. Can somebody recommend a low rolling platform that will save my knees?

I know these are all noob questions, but this is the first time I've seriously wanted to make a car look hot and wet, so I appreciate your indulgence.

thanks,
Dave
Old 07-06-2006, 06:47 PM

1. I don't use my PC with those products. It would mainly be used to spread those products. To me, handbuffing/wiping would be necessary anyway.

2. PC's are very friendly, but you might as well try it on the CRV first. I use my PC more for periodic finish polishing and repair than typical AIO/Wax work.

3. Pad clean up is easy. Soapy water and bucket. Pads last dozens of uses if cleaned.

4. Someone else would need to take this...some basic info: http://www.properautocare.com/kla-16.html

5. Clean pad and use any product you want.

6. No clue. Sorry.

If arthritis is a probelm, I'd think about ditching the SG and carnauba. Menzerma FMJ may give you the same finish with less work. I haven't work with it, but I have seen the results and you may like it on Laguna.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:16 PM

Thanks, Hale

My co-worker has a dark green pearl Miata, and got the full Menzerma kit for Father's day, and is finally getting around to using it this weekend - I'l get to see it Monday. He was pretty impressed with the AIO/SG/Carnuba tho, but we'll be able to directly compare results.

So far only thing that has really knocked me out is a full Zaino, vs the AIO.

I find the handbuffing easier than the application of AIO, at least on the second coat. First coat with anything I've ever used is the toughest.

I do love what the full Klasse tratment does for my glass and Lexan, and the added carnuba on the Laguna just looks great. I'm just at the age where this much work at such low angles is more of an investment in ibuprophen than in the S :-)

Sounds like a PC would not help me that much, at least until I need to remove swirls, polish the headlight covers, etc?

thanks,
Dave
Old 07-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dave- yup. the pc is best for polishing (swirl removal, etc)...
but dont give up hope yet!
its a complete matter of opinion whether to use the machine to apply and remove last stage products (waxes/ synthtetics).
that said, i use the pc as often as i do the last stage by hand. i actually feel that the pc applies my products more evenly and in the small quantity that gives the best results than i can do by hand. i do end up using more product cause the pad sucks it up and wastes some.
there is no right or wrong answer to this... its all opinion
i do agree that your crv is a better choice than the s for your first try! and i absolutely would do a wax or synthetic job before i did a polish (to get the feel for the machine)
my last comment- use your machine to dry the pads, but keep it on a slow speed (after you hand wash them, put them back on the machine and spin them slowly to get the water out- if you spin them too fast, they will fly apart... experience talking here!)
Old 07-07-2006, 03:21 AM

[QUOTE=parkerdt,Jul 6 2006, 07:16 PM] I'm just at the age where this much work at such low angles is
Old 07-07-2006, 04:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerdt,Jul 6 2006, 06:08 PM
Confused as all heck here. I'd like to get a PC machine if it will help me. I use the Klasse AIO and their GS and top with carnuba; the Autogeeks "forum favorite" package. I like the look, but not the work, with my arthritis. Having done this by hand once, and having spend 2 days, and then 2 days resting, I'm ready for a better way.

If you all would indulge me, there is WAY too much info in the stickies for my addled old brain to assimilate.

1. Will a PC be useful with my choice of products? If so, what model and pads should I start with?

2. Is it a bad idea to learn to use a PC on a new S2000? Should I do the +1s CRV first?

3. How difficult is pad maintenance, and how often are pads replaced.

4. Any specific instructions/recommendations for using this bad boy with AIO or other Klasse products?

5. If I continure to ogle other local cars with Zaino, will I have to purchase different pads, or can I clean the AIO off enough to not interfere?

6. Can somebody recommend a low rolling platform that will save my knees?

I know these are all noob questions, but this is the first time I've seriously wanted to make a car look hot and wet, so I appreciate your indulgence.

thanks,
Dave
Why not just buy Zaino?

You only need a couple forumlas. You don't need their whole collection.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:38 AM

Jason,

Zaino may be a great alternative. But if the whole PC thing is confusing, imagine how I feel going through the Zaino website - incredibly difficult to tell what I really need. I want the car to look shiny and wet. What Zaino products would you advise for maximizing both ease and beauty? (I know that's a trade-off!)

thanks,
Dave
Old 07-09-2006, 03:49 PM

OK, today I decided to give the Klasse AIO system another go - did a good thorough wash and dry, and set to it with the All In One. Was MUCH easier this time! Did two coats of it in about 30 mins, including wheels. Then two coats of the SG (including door sills and inside the gas tank cover of course :-) ) in about two hours. Left off the carnuba topper. In a word, it didn't need it - what a nice look! Guess I just needed to get the dealer prep stuff thoroughly off in order to see what the Klasse actually looks like.

Got the ultimate compliment - was driving around the neighborhood after finishing, and a buch of little kids riding their bikes stopped, yelled "Wow! Cool Car!!", and I stopped for them to get a closer look. One little girl looked up and said "I see myself, how did you get your car so shiny!" LOL!

After two weeks with the AIO in place, getting the brake dust off the wheels was very easy, as well. So, until I need to kill swirls or something else major, I can definitely do without a PC.

Thanks for all the advice!

Dave
Old 07-09-2006, 04:42 PM

Congrats. Glad it went easier this time. You really can't beat the Klasse combo without a whole bunch more effort.

Hit us with a pic if you can. Laguna's are pretty rare.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks, Hale

The +1 was so impressed she actually washed the CRV and Zymol'd it while I was finishing. Looking at her results, she should have used some AIO ;-) But at least it is better then when she started!

I'll see what I can do about getting a pic or two. The Laguna looks about 2 shades darker with the shine - quite pretty if I say so myself. Will be interesting to compare to my co-worker's Monzerna (sp) FMJ tomorrow, although his green is significantly darker.

Also just got word that my hardtop is in - will have to AIO it as well for some pics.

Dave

Quick Reply: Confused as all heck!