S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

clearbra-any longterm problems?

Old 09-23-2005, 04:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clearbra-any longterm problems?

I am considering having 3m clearbra installed on the front lip,headlights,front bumper, mirrors and stems, hood and fenders, I want to know if any owners have had any long term problems with the clearbra. It has a 5 year warranty,but
I remember a post claiming they all yellow over time. I do not like the line on the hood and fenders from the wax line being so visible, and was wondering if it gets more visible over time? The protection is the biggest reason I want it but I only use the car for pleasure and try to stay far away from trucks and cars in front of me. I cringe every time a cement truck or a construction truck with a tractor /backhoe on a trailer pass me. I know some chippage is unavoidable but
the 700$ charge will give me some peace of mind. Any feedback would be appreciated,Thanks and keep v-tecing!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

replying mainly to bump this up cause i do not have personal experience...

my understanding is that the bra can yellow- and that this is most noticeable on white cars. you might see it on a silver... but if it bothers you, the cost of replacing it (not hard to do) is certainly worth the protection that you would have gotten for the several years before you replace it i would think!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a clearbra put on my 05 Silverstone about a month ago. I really like it, it gives me excellent piece of mind and I am like you, had a phobia of getting my front end chipped up because the paint on these cars are very fragile.
As long as you keep your car clean, wash it once a week or once every two weeks, you shouldn't have a problem. When you wax, just take a few extra minutes to run a microfiber cloth along the edges of the clearbra to clean out any excess wax. Dirt should not be a problem along the lines as long as you keep your car clean.
As far as the yellowing, if you park in a garage, that will help. You will also want to pick up some Plexus (properautocare.com) because it is an anti-static as well as a protectant (can eliminate yellowing), so the surface of the clearbra will be just as smooth as the surface of freshly waxed paint and it will help repel dust.
If your car is a garage queen and only taken out on good days, that clearbra will probably last the lifetime of your car. A friend of mine who restores porsches had put a strip of the clearbra material on his porsche several years ago before it went mainstream and it still looks great. It is all in how you do the upkeep.
Worst comes to worst, you just heat it up on a warm day and peel it off, wax off the adhesive and you will be ready to get it reapplied. It is cheaper in the long run to get one versus repaints every year, and no re-paint is good as factory IMO.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:15 PM

I've had clearbra for a while on my S. The only real complaint, and I'm being picky here, is the line on the hood where it ends. It sorta looks like a long scratch across it. However, if you keep it clean and specifically wipe along the line it gets harder to see.

Overall though, I think it is a great product. I have several spots on the front of the bumper where you can see that a rock has hit pretty hard and left a dent in the clearbra but did not get through to the paint. I do wish it got a little bit closer to the edges of the pieces than mine is, but that's not a big deal really.

--on edit--
I forgot to mention, it has been on the car for about 3 1/2 years not and I have not seen any kind of yellowing at all.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:55 AM

3M warranties their product for 5 years not to fade, yellow, peel, or crack. Because it is the only clear coated film in the market, it has far greater stain resistance than other products.

A great resource for this product is http://www.ultrashieldusa.com/. All of their licensees are 3M certified installers.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had it on my car for well over three years and it's great. There are other brands of film but I think 3M is the best material overall. Like Steve says, stain resistance is a major problem I've heard about with other brands.