S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Cleaning Your s2k at a Car-wash? Ex. Bluewave?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Your s2k at a Car-wash? Ex. Bluewave?

Well, So far, I've cleaned it by hand. Either that, or I'd pay someone who I know wouldn't screw it up with cheap products.

Anyways, I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with blue wave? But, that's where I wash my 08 Corolla S, and Expedition. Usually a $10.00 Premium wash with unlimited vacuum. Keep on vacuuming until it looks like new.

Well, Here's my main question, Does it screw with the soft-top? I mean they do apply some serious pressure of water.. and towards the end the pressure of the air is CRAZY. It always makes my corolla top shake (I could hear it, and when i put my hand on the top i can feel it shake). But it does always clean it car GOOD.

What do everyone else think? is it a good idea?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 PM

When I lived in NJ, I did, I confess, take my Luthien through a couple of car washes, and the top survived just fine. But I still feel guilty ...
Old 12-15-2008, 03:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pretty sure that my owners manual says not to use car washes cause of the top...
its the seals that are the issue- pressure isnt good for them - and drive throughs will dry out the seals

not to speak of the guaranteed swirls that the rags that they dry the car provide!!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

NO! No car washes... Top takes a major beating.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:29 AM

I want to say NOOO i'll point you in the right direction!!

BUT, the first time I washed my S I bought my own shampoo, buckets, mitt, and MFs (was living at an apt), so I went to the local self-serve car wash. Filled up my buckets with my soap, pressure washed the car down.. then used all my own stuff from there.

As long as you use the right method, when going to a self serve car wash.. it's not any different then at home (to a certain extent).

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by espelirS2K,Dec 16 2008, 12:29 PM
I want to say NOOO i'll point you in the right direction!!

BUT, the first time I washed my S I bought my own shampoo, buckets, mitt, and MFs (was living at an apt), so I went to the local self-serve car wash. Filled up my buckets with my soap, pressure washed the car down.. then used all my own stuff from there.

As long as you use the right method, when going to a self serve car wash.. it's not any different then at home (to a certain extent).

Good luck!

I've done that.
It's nice to have a "pressure washer" that uses slightly warmed water during the winter. I even like where you can soap up the car like a foam cannon, almost. The soaps can be harsh so it isn't always the best idea to use their soap though.

Then you use your own bucket/mitt to clean it and rinse with the wand.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is also nice to have a home pressure washer with a pressure dial-down feature so you can avoid stripping paint from a chip and damaging the top with pressure that's too high. Detergent can be applied with a hose-end "foam gun" or garden sprayer with a mixing dial. All of the washing of the car top and body can be done with a boar's hair bush on a pole, and wheels can be washed with a long-handled boar's hair brush.

I'm talking about an investment in tools of only about $250, and you can wash your car in cold weather (above freezing, of course) and not touch water.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 PM

Hey thanks for the replies everyone!

well, I guess my s2k is never gonna see the face of a car wash lol

But, I guess yall are right. It's better to be safe then sorry rite? Sooo... now, plan is to wash the car at home safely... without trying messing it up and i guess im gonna use my house vacuum to clean the interior haha lets see how that goes.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:17 PM

For your interior, a small California Duster does well on the leather, vinyl, and gauges. I don't know your storage and garage situation, but I bought a 6.25 hp Shop Vac, Contractors' Series. The one with the big hose. I use the attachment with the small flattened intake area. It produces much stronger suction, and makes interior cleaning much faster and better. Cost was about $130, as I remember. It's been darn well worth it to me.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:59 PM

I sometimes use the coin-op places for their vacuums. They tend to be very powerful.

If you've got space for a shop vac, I was in Home Depot this past Saturday, and spotted a Ridgid shop vac on special for $25! Obviously this wasn't the most powerful one, nor did it break down and become a leaf blower. But for $25, it's certainly more than enough for vacuuming out a car.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Your s2k at a Car-wash? Ex. Bluewave?