S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

CLEANING/WAXING

Old 10-25-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLEANING/WAXING

i checked the FAQ's, but didn't find what I was looking for.
But my question is what is Clay for and where does it fit into the process? I usually just wash dry and wax.. does clay fall in between? is it a prep for the wax?
Thanks
Old 10-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Using a clay bar will clean most of the specs of dirt and old waxes you have on your car. Follow this with a good polish and then a wax for a nice smooth shine. Many people use a produckt like Klass AIO ( all in one) to get a good polish, protectant.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:11 PM

Follow this link to learn everything you ever wanted to know about clay. Probably some things you didn't want to know too!
Old 10-26-2005, 05:01 AM

Thanks. the hood on my tahoe is feeling rough and looks dull, i'm hoping this solves the problem to bring it back to life...hopefully i can try it this weekend and let you know how it worked out..
Old 10-26-2005, 07:49 AM

The clay will definitely help the rough feeling of the paint. Although, I can't say it will 100% solve the dull look. I would have a PC and some polish on hand. If you don't like the results after clay then go ahead with some polish. Make sure you finish up with some wax or sealant either way as the clay will remove any you have on your car.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Former Moderator

Clay won't do anything for the dull look. It simply removes embedded or surface contaminants.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

back in the "good old days" we didnt have clay...
we used polish for all purposes that clay is used today-
we didnt have clear coat either. hard to believe!
man this is making me feel old-
and we didnt have random orbital machines!
guess i could keep going, but am gonna give up while i am ahead.
you have absolutely great advice above this post, so i will only add that clay does a wonderful job of pulling contaminents outta the paint.
you can clay without polishing- and claying is less "damaging" than polish (polish does remove an incredibly small amount of your clear coat and clay does not).

the clay will bring back the smooth feel, but you will need polish to get the look back. us old timers would probably just polish the car and skip the clay (i do clay, but i seldom clay followed by polish).
Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by wanabe,Oct 26 2005, 08:14 PM
polish does remove an incredibly small amount of your clear coat and clay does not
Technically, clay is an abrasive compound. It will also remove a tiny bit of clear coat just like polish. I've seen clay damage from people that use it incorrectly.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:03 AM

well, i didn't get to detail my tahoe, but my S is SWEEEEET.. i washed it , tar/bug remover, clayed and wax.. my god.. I think clay is the greatest thing since white rice (i'm asian :0).. i mean.. it got out these particles/spots that i could never get out when i would just wash and wax.. and the feel.. the paint is smooth, but it also feels so soft.....
it's looks fresh out of the showroom (even better)!!! can't wait to try it on my tahoe this coming weekend.. my cousin inspected the car and wants me to do it to his car.. thanks everyone for all you info.. it looked so nice, i had to take it out that evening for a nice run.. and i was able to go top down..
Old 11-01-2005, 11:28 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Glad it worked out for you.

Quick Reply: CLEANING/WAXING