S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Cleaning the Vinyl Roof ??

Old 08-17-2001, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's fine, cannot disagree. In fact I have a can of ragg-top (sp?) but i thought i should not use it because i then found out the top was vinyl. BTW i always wash the top with the rest of the car, was not advocating vacuumins instead of washing. Only sometimes I vacuum first with worthwhile effect.
Old 08-18-2001, 06:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by heli
[B]that's fine, cannot disagree.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:25 AM

Ok, folks as I sit here with my unopened container of Ragg Topp.

There is no doubt that the top on the S2000 is vinyl and not cloth. There is also no doubt that the embosed vinyl is not the same as conventional pinpoint vinyl tops found on other cars. The difference is that conventional vinyl tops do not absorb water like our tops do. When I wash my car the top stays wet for a while. My estimation is that because the top surface is porous the Raggtop will be absorbed and will remain effective on the top and not simply wash off the way it would on a conventional vinyl top. I would still avoid petroleum based protectants but it appears that Ragg Topp protectant for cloth tops (because the top is porous) is a good choice.

This is only my opinion but based on what I have read I will most likely use the product as it takes my top quite a while to dry out after a rain and I don't want to drop the top when it is wet. Ragg Topp = dry top = drop top = makes me do this.......

The question is???? Is there a flaw in this logic?
Old 08-20-2001, 02:27 PM

Tom,

No, I don't think that there is a flaw in your logic. The protectant does cause water to bead up on the top, rather than sink in, so the top should take less time to dry. You say that you have Ragg Topp, and I assume that you are talking about the protectant. Don't forget to clean the top before you use the protectant, and make sure that it is completely dry before you spray the protectant on it.

Dallas
Old 08-23-2001, 06:04 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcoates1
[B]Sorry guys!!!
Old 08-23-2001, 06:09 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcoates1
[B]Haartz is one of our customers and I visit them a few times a year.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:16 PM

Hey folks:

My S2000 is kept in a heated garage. It never gets wet, except when I wash it. It will never feel snow or salt or anything other than normal road grime.

Consequently, the top is always down. Will this decrease the wear & tear on the top and plastic window, or am I missing something that will aggravate the wear & tear? Should I keep the top up occasionally?
Old 08-28-2001, 10:06 PM
Banned

Bill, I HOPE HOPE HOPE you have an oversized roller in that plastic window!!!
Old 08-29-2001, 09:03 AM

Bill,

I'm in a very similar situation to you. I have my top down a LOT, and the last time I washed the car, I did notice that the back part of the roof, near the plastic windw had some funny creases in it. Nothing big to worry about though. The creases came out while I had the roof up overnight to let the top dry.

When I put the roof down, I put a 100% cotton towel over the back window, to help prevent it from creasing. The back window still looks great, even with my top down for almost 3 months.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill L
[B]Hey folks:

My S2000 is kept in a heated garage.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:02 PM

Silverstreak,

How do you utilize "an oversize roller" to protect the rear window when the top is down?

Bill L.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Vinyl Roof ??