S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

cleaning polished aluminum

Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning polished aluminum

so I've always just used metal polish in the past on my Hayabusa's frame. used to just clean it, polish it by hand and that was that. It's been a year or so since i've really spent some time on the ol' girl (no racetrack, no reason to ride it) but i"ve decided I should clean her up for a some upcoming rides.

anyone have any recommendations for a process of cleaning this polished aluminum. it does not have a clear coat on it.

thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 PM

oh and it's not that bad, but there are some water spots and general very light oxidation that motorcycle frames seem to always get. In the past the metal polish i use "heavy metal" has always got it all off, but i didn't know any better than to keep rubbing.

I'm looking for a more methodical approach, contemplating clay with a lot of lube to get some of the stubborn stuff off.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

I have very good success with "Simichrome Polish";it's made in Germany,and available at C.-T.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i assume that this is the frame you are working with:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/11/...fo-motorcycles/

got pics of your problem areas?

if just general cleaning of water spots (not etched) and light grime, just about any metal polish should work...

some choices:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?P...CATS&Category=4

or

http://properautocare.com/metalpolish.html

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 PM

Ok I figured out a process that worked for me.

1) Removed wheels and most body work, bagged the important electrical parts
2) Sprayed on a ton of "Powersports Cleaner" it's a general all purpose type cleaner.
3) Brushed the grease and grime out of the chain with rags and a wheel brush
4) Fired up 'ol bessi' my pressure washer and went at it with the 40 degree tip.
5) mixed up some cleaner in a bottle and clayed the whole thing. Came out pretty good.
6) Will begin polishing tomorrow. I'm using heavy metal green (more abrasive) and blue (finishing)
7) hoping to find a metal sealant, otherwise I guess I could try a synthetic wax.

Any ideas for a metal sealant? is it worth the time?

I was a little worried about claying the metal cause I just wasn't sure what it would do. I've only ever clayed painted surfaces before, but it worked just fine. It really removed a lot of dirt that had been on there for a long time.

The poor clay really took a beating, but it's ok cause I had already used that chunk on my folks SUV a week ago. At least I didn't destroy a brand new piece of the stuff.
Forgot to take before pics, but I will take some after pics. Then after I take it for a ride I can take some pics and it will look just like the before pics should have. Damn thing gets dirty so fast.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on what I was really looking for from this post, I guess I wasn't sure myself, but after searching autogeek and some other detailing sites I was able to come up with a system that so far seems to have worked.