S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Cleaning the exhaust pipe.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the exhaust pipe.

Not sure this is the right forum for this, but I figured it was better than any. Just as the title says. I ran over a plastic bag on the freeway and it caught on my exhaust and muffler. The sucker just melted right on the pipe and smells like a hot glue gun when it heats up. I want to clean this stuff off but what do I use to do so? Anyone have had the similar problem?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

right forum... not an easy problem-

my experience is that this is usually a trial and error sorta project-
depending on how big it is you can try freezing it (ice in bag over the area for about 10 minutes with cold exhaust)- if this works, the plastic just peels off. then you still have to clean the exhaust. a stainless cleaner usually will get the residue.
the other choice is heating it (i have seen guys who are very experienced with blow torches burn off stuff like this- but you really have to know what you are doing and you should pull the exhaust from the car before using a torch there... remember you are right next to your gas tank!)-
if you just heat it with the car- go for a spirited drive with lotsa vtec- you will heat the exhaust, and then try to scrape it gently so you dont scratch it- you can try a bbq grill pad (not steel brush)-
when you get it to the point of just a stain, try some amazing roll-off or other similar non-acidic engine cleaner. finish with the stainless cleaner. i use "thor", but there are several out there.

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/a...ngrolloff1.html

more cleaning product ideas for the exhaust (after you get most of the plastic off):

mineral spirits, wd-40, etc. (soak it well and let it sit for a few minutes before attempting removal)- or

http://hawg-wash.com/metalpolish.html