S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

cleaning and dressing a vinyl top

Old 06-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts
Default cleaning and dressing a vinyl top

I got a call to detail an 02 Caddie with a vinyl top. Can I clean the top with Raggtop for cleaning vinyl convertible tops or is there a better product out there. Also, can I use 303 for dressing the top.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

A lot of people like Raggtop better than 303...303 runs a bit when wet.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen Meguiar's M39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner recommended for vinyl roofs. I do not know if it would do a better job than Raggtopp fabric/vinyl cleaner.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Wash the top with your car wash soap and a soft brush, once it's dry apply a vinyl protectant Raggtop or 303 work very well. If it's been a while since the top was last treated I would apply several coats. With 303 the secret to not "running off" in a rain is to lightly buff the top with a towel after it's dry.

The 303 works well for interior/exterior vinyl and rubber pieces as well, which makes it more universally useable in a detail.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Wash the top with your car wash soap and a soft brush, once it's dry apply a vinyl protectant Raggtop or 303 work very well. If it's been a while since the top was last treated I would apply several coats. With 303 the secret to not "running off" in a rain is to lightly buff the top with a towel after it's dry.

The 303 works well for interior/exterior vinyl and rubber pieces as well, which makes it more universally useable in a detail.
I checked the caddy out today and the top is a light tan vinyl (padded) and it has some spotting. I was thinking of washing with the soap and soft brush first then cleaning with the Raggtop if the soap does not remove these spots. I will experiment with a small area first to see if this works. If it does then I can apply the 303 as I dont have any Raggtop protectant for vinyl just cloth. Thanks for the tips.
Another area of concern that I noticed was the chrome wheels. It looks like they have not been cleaned for a while and the brake dust has caused some damage that I may not be able to remove with my wheel cleaner. Could I use a chrome polish after cleaning them.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the top? Your certain the top is vinyl and not a cloth top? The reason I ask is the early caddies cloth tops are very prone to mildew, you can remove the surface mildew, but it will come back over time. The company that makes the tops, Haartz, recommends a weak bleach and water mixture to kill the mildew. Note this applies to the cloth tops only, a specific vinyl cleaner would be best for a vinyl top.

As for the wheels I would try the Sonax wheel cleaner, it removes more dirt, brake dust and sintered metal particles than any cleaner. And yes, a good metal cleaner would help after the wheels are clean/dry.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Do you have any pictures of the top? Your certain the top is vinyl and not a cloth top? The reason I ask is the early caddies cloth tops are very prone to mildew, you can remove the surface mildew, but it will come back over time. The company that makes the tops, Haartz, recommends a weak bleach and water mixture to kill the mildew. Note this applies to the cloth tops only, a specific vinyl cleaner would be best for a vinyl top.

As for the wheels I would try the Sonax wheel cleaner, it removes more dirt, brake dust and sintered metal particles than any cleaner. And yes, a good metal cleaner would help after the wheels are clean/dry.
I'm pretty sure it is vinyl but I will check again. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM

303 is a great bang-for-buck item. I use it on the interior and roof. Can't say the same about Raggtop, methinks.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akimel
I've seen Meguiar's M39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner recommended for vinyl roofs. I do not know if it would do a better job than Raggtopp fabric/vinyl cleaner.
I've used M40 and 303 on my top. I highly prefer 303.

I've used M39 and M40 on my dash. M39 gives a much flatter/more matte look than M40, which has some gloss to it. I don't think either of them would give the nice black look that 303 gives.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Where do you guys buy Raggtop or 303 ??? I searched ebay and found it there. Can I get it local? Autozone?

Quick Reply: cleaning and dressing a vinyl top