S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Clay bar story

Old 04-12-2002, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay bar story

Just thought I'd share this story...since this stuff really worked for me.

I was at a 2 day track event at VIR two weeks ago with my m3 and it was drizzling the whole time. I had brake problems in that i only switched out the pads to metallic track pads, and they made the car vibrate like hell since they apparently did not like the residue left by the stock (street) pads on the rotors. The rotors grooved a lot and a lot of material was removed from them and the pads over the two days.

The 7 hour trip home was pretty much nonstop rain. The next day I saw the car had "splash marks" behind the wheel well, and upon closer inspection (to my horror) i saw that these were made up of rust left behind from the metal particles shaving off the brakes and adhering to the paint. The very next day a buddy of mine and I decided to spend half a day cleaning our cars and saw a clay bar at the local auto store, and figured, why the hell not.

I sprayed the lubricant, and ran lightly over a spot with the bar and to my amazement it pulled the rust right off! I had tried very hard during washing to take off as much as I could, but the coagullated (sp?) particles just didnt budge. This stuff really is amazing!

I did the whole car and it really restored the paint. I waxed it right after but in hindsight to do it right I should have polished it right after the clay, as using the bar to pull off the stuff left some very very thin scratches (i couldnt see them right away since the car is silver).

Just thought I'd share and perhaps help verify that this stuff does indeed work. I think this is definitely a much better alternative than chemicals for bug and tar removal as well.

bassem
Old 04-12-2002, 06:18 AM

I have a spa yellow with all these littly tiny black speckles all over it. Do you think a clay bar would take those off?
Old 04-12-2002, 06:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shank Flanker
[B]I have a spa yellow with all these littly tiny black speckles all over it.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:59 AM

run your hand lightly over the speckle area. if the tiny black speckles are higher than the paint surface, a clay bar will most likely take them off. just make sure you use the lubricant supplied with it otherwise you will scracth the paint instead.

btw, the m3 had zaino on it, but it was on since september, so maybe it wasnt as effective as it could have been
Old 04-12-2002, 10:47 AM

You may not be able to feel the speckles with your bare fingers. Clean the area, then wrap cellophane or other similar material around your fingers and LIGHTLY move them across the surface. If you can feel the roughness, clay bar will very likely remove the material and leave you with a super slick finish. It is amazing what clay bar will remove from even an apparently clean finish.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:55 AM

My clay bar is always leaving freaking residue in scratches. Now I have little yellow clay marks all over my car.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:13 AM

yellow residue ?

are you doing it in hot sun ?

are you using lots of lube ?

what brand bar ?

there is a bar out there that has had reports of "shredding" on finishes . . .not from everyone - but in some cases