S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Clay Bar

Old 02-20-2003, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar

Well it all started at HIN last Saturday, my berlina sat under the flourescent lighting, and I realized it had become victim to the swirl marks. I have ordered just about every Zaino product, including the clay bar, but I am not really sure on how to use the bar. Do I rub it over every last inch of the paint until it is smooth, or is there a way to tell where I need it and where I dont. I will eliminate those damn swirl marks no matter what it takes!
Old 02-21-2003, 04:50 AM

Oh, those dreaded swirl marks. Well, Randman - you've chosen Berlina Black so you know you have the most challenging wash duty of all our colors. Luckily you've got Zaino and clay to the rescue and you've gotta start from the beginning if you've never clayed.

If I were you, I would start with a new wash mitt and good cotton towels. (or microfiber towels) As you're probably aware, the towel situation has been covered many, many times here in the Wash forum.

Wash the car with Dawn. Once you rinse the car off, with the car still wet, gently run the back of your hand over the car starting with the hood. If there are any particles imbedded, you will feel them scrape the back of your hand. That little particle is the beginning of a swirl mark. You don't really need to clay every inch of the car, just those spots where you feel the particles.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should get the Z5 "swirl remover" if you don't have it already
Old 02-21-2003, 07:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sj2000
[B]you should get the Z5
Old 02-21-2003, 07:53 AM

Alright, just spent about $55 on the MF towels. Got 10 16x16" and 2 24x24" (I think those are the dimentions) I have had the MF towels for a couple years, but I figure it's time to get some new ones, the technology has propably changed anyway... I am Swirl Man, beware swirl marks, I am out to get you!
Old 02-21-2003, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

couple of comments on the above posts...
clay bars do not remove swirls;
and z5 does not remove swirls either.
clay bars remove embedded contaminants- and z5 masks swirls (although i agree that it is better to mask then remove until you cant mask anymore).
z5 fills swirls and rounds off the edges of the cuts- to remove swirls, the only solution is a swirl remover (such as 3m for dark cars). however, to really remove them you will also remove some of your clear coat- which is why i think its better to mask until you cant mask anymore (then you have to remove them).
and i agree that you want to make sure to use clean and soft towels without nylon threads (micro-fibers are probably the best for this).
Old 02-21-2003, 08:33 AM

I second what wanabe says.

The only thing I would add is to wash your towels in liquid detergent. The powder stuff may not fully disolve and leave little hard scratchy bits in the towel. I made this mistake with my black GTI. Luckily I noticed the swirls coming after only one panel. I like to use a liquid "free" type detergent without perfumes and softeners.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nin009- good point...
i use the same stuff that honda suggests to wash the car cover in, to wash the towels in... it is a liquid (i think something like fantastik, but not the fantastik you buy in the store).
Old 02-21-2003, 11:34 AM

To also add to the above, even if you clay your car regularly, you can still get swirls. At best, an embedded particle is a swirl; at worst, it will be a scratch.

Also, there are a lot of factors that will cause swirls: bad towels, dirt from wash mitts/towels, not washing a filthy car correctly; automatic car washes... Lots of things.

There is so little room for washing error with Berlina, I think one has to perfectly wash it every single time, and be extremely detailed oriented every single time.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:51 PM

What others have said about what clay will and will not do is correct. Using clay is not difficult, just read the instructions in the container.

You might consider cutting a bar in half. That will be plenty for the S2k. Also put a sheet or towel on the ground beside the area you are working so that when you drop the bar, it drops on that instead of the floor where it will become contaminated.

Keep the surface well lubricated, use straight line motions, and light pressure. It should feel sort of like a hockey puck moving over ice. Move back and forth across the surface until it is absolutely slick, then wipe with a cotton towel and move to the next section. Frequently check the condition of the bar. Read the instructions.

The S2k is relatively small in surface area. Do the whole car! It is the best surface preparation you can give the finish. The end result is always dependant on the surface prep before hand.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar