S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Which clay?

Old 07-07-2002, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which clay?

Is there a big difference between clay bar brands? Would the Clay Magic bar be as good as the Zaino? Just trying to save a little money...
Old 07-07-2002, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dave22
[B]Is there a big difference between clay bar brands?
Old 07-07-2002, 07:55 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I used Zaino's today for my first treatment of Zaino products.

As far as I can tell, it worked well. Almost nothing found on the hood, trunk, and doors. Some stuff around the wheels and on the plastic in the front. I really liked using the Zaino car wash as a lubricant for the clay (as they recommend); that was pretty nice.

In terms of comparison, I never used clay before so nothing to add.

I found the overall clay bar experience a little unnerving. You try to make sure you don't drop the darn thing, meanwhile you're working on a slippery surface. Plus, it's very hard to be comfortable with the risk that if something impregnates the bar you'll scratch your paint. That said, it went pretty well for me. I dropped one of the two bars that Zaino packages for you (and tossed it out). I think someone recommended to me that you cut the bar into pieces so you don't lose the whole thing when it falls. Not a bad idea.

Best wishes
Old 07-08-2002, 04:09 AM

I have used Clay Magic on 3 cars so far and I was very happy. It is a great product and cleans great once you learn not to drop the bar. I have used it on windshields too and it cleans them off great, especially those hard water spots.

I learned about clay on this board and gave it a try on an older car. It is the best new product I have used on my cars. I hope others try it as well. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]I used Zaino's today for my first treatment of Zaino products.

I found the overall clay bar experience a little unnerving.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Wanabe...

Yours is the first I've heard of anyone using the Porter Cable this way.

What kind of holder do you use to keep it attached to the device (keep in mind, I have no idea what a porter cable actually looks like, but I assume it looks like a rotary buffer). Any pix?
Old 07-08-2002, 09:49 AM

I used clay magic for the first time last weekend and was astounded at the shine. I did have to be very liberal with the spray lubricant or the clay stuck to the surface. (It was about 100 degrees F in my garage) That was my first experience with clay and I love it. It worked great on the windshield too. Just one question though...Does the spray lube have any protectants in it or do I still need to wax?
Old 07-08-2002, 11:05 AM

[B] Wanabe...

Yours is the first I've heard of anyone using the Porter Cable this way.

What kind of holder do you use to keep it attached to the device (keep in mind, I have no idea what a porter cable actually looks like, but I assume it looks like a rotary buffer).
Old 07-08-2002, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by slbutler
Just one question though...Does the spray lube have any protectants in it or do I still need to wax?
probably does, but you still need to wax the car after claying- claying is usually part of the prep before the paint protection (wax or synthetic) is applied. some suggest stripping off the wax first- i think that the clay works pretty well without stripping first (usually you do this by washing with a somewhat harsh detergent, such as dawn).
Old 07-08-2002, 11:28 AM

[B]You try to make sure you don't drop the darn thing...it's very hard to be comfortable with the risk that if something impregnates the bar you'll scratch your paint.

Quick Reply: Which clay?