S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Chip Repair!

Old 09-14-2004, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Repair!

First off, I guess I need to change my driving habits because I have a bunch of chips on my hood and left fender.

Please post your repair methods and pics!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SolReborn,Sep 14 2004, 07:02 AM
First off, I guess I need to change my driving habits because I have a bunch of chips on my hood and left fender.

Please post your repair methods and pics!
best info that i know:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27

and since my car is over 4 years old and looks better than the day it rolled off of the showroom floor- my prevention tip:

i always give plenty of room to larger vehicles. if i need to pass, thats what vtec is for!! and you can begin the pass from way back...
i also watch road conditions- if the road is bad i give even more room if i cant find another road.
i first figured this out when the car was new and i was getting gas stains on the front end. realized that they were from suvs so i began the staying back practice to avoid the gas stains... then found out that it works for chips too!!!
(btw, good luck- and post up pics when you do the job!)
Old 09-14-2004, 07:21 AM
Former Moderator

Chips are impossible to avoid. Someday i'll have my hood and bumper resprayed because the paint on these cars is hard to repair.

I've tried Langka, airbrush, autosharp pen and Honda touchup paint. They yellow is impossible to match and the honda touch up paint is super thin. The best apporach i've found is to do many layers over a week or two. I can get the paint back to where you can't feel the chip, but it is so opaque you can still see the primer underneath, so it still looks like a chip. I wish i had a better answer for you. Maybe black is easier to fix. wanabe might chime in.

He chimed in while i was typing!!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Sep 14 2004, 07:21 AM
Chips are impossible to avoid. Someday i'll have my hood and bumper resprayed because the paint on these cars is hard to repair.

I've tried Langka, airbrush, autosharp pen and Honda touchup paint. They yellow is impossible to match and the honda touch up paint is super thin. The best apporach i've found is to do many layers over a week or two. I can get the paint back to where you can't feel the chip, but it is so opaque you can still see the primer underneath, so it still looks like a chip. I wish i had a better answer for you. Maybe black is easier to fix. wanabe might chime in.

He chimed in while i was typing!!!!
ubetit- i have heard that from several yellow owners.
black is a bit better... again according to owners who i have heard from.
btw, langka was a good suggestion- i have also heard the same comments about it- that black works better with it than with lighter colors.
solborn should consider trying the langka (for more info langka.com i think)
Old 09-14-2004, 08:39 AM

for whatever reason (murphy's law i assume), my front bumper collects rocks. i think it has something to do with the dollar per rock ratio.

in any case, i have a baby food jar of touch up paint that my body shop gave me, and i use a match as my brush. you rip the match from the match dealie and use the frayed edge (NOT the one you light) as the brush. works great, and all you do it put a quick dab of it on there and let it dry.

of course, you're still left with a touch up mark, but it's near impossible to notice, and you want to do this before you wax the spot again, since if it's waxed, the paint won't want to stick to the car.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:10 AM

I used touch-up paint with a toothpick. Even though I dabbed just a tiny drop of paint in each chip, there was still too much paint. Then end result was uneven/raised edges around the paint drop. Is there any way I can sand this down so that it is flat?
Old 09-15-2004, 04:59 PM

silver sucks at touching up chips!!
Old 09-17-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my S with the touch-up paint and it came out not bad.

I used primer (grey can't find white ) then LOTS and LOTS of layers of touch-up, this was a bigger spot though.

For smaller spots no primer and just lots of paint. You can sand it down with 1500 grit followed by 2000 or 2500 grit wetsand and it should come out not bad.

On the big spot I had, I found that if I used another yellow paint that was thicker I was able to cover the grey primer, then put the honda touch-up paint on-top of the other yellow which was easier to hide as it was a close match to start with.

Here's what I came up with.

The picture actually looks worse than in real life.

Old 09-17-2004, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by SolReborn,Sep 15 2004, 09:10 AM
I used touch-up paint with a toothpick. Even though I dabbed just a tiny drop of paint in each chip, there was still too much paint. Then end result was uneven/raised edges around the paint drop. Is there any way I can sand this down so that it is flat?
I just ordered the stuff from LangkaLangka. Supposedly it will take care of the paint bumps that I always end up with when I use touch up paint. It should be here next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

John
Old 09-19-2004, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by SolReborn,Sep 15 2004, 02:10 PM
Langka or Mothers chip repair kits are good for smoothing