S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Chemical Guys HOL995

Old 08-26-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chemical Guys HOL995

Hey guys, just curious if anyone has used this product before on their soft top.

If yes, tell me about your experience. Pros? Cons?

Which brands should I stay away from?

I've heard/read stories about people using some cleaners/protectants and it leaves white residue when it dries.
Like a drool stain on a black shirt lol.

Is it because they left it under the sun right after application without letting the product soak in?

I've used the search feature and I don't see this mentioned nor does amazon have reviews on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-.../dp/B00UZE8CMY

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never used it before. I'm sure it works fine but I prefer 303 Aerospace as it seems to protect extremely well, beads water pretty darn good, and gives the black top a nice sheen back. The only time I ever ran into white residue problems was when I washed the top, then almost immediately put on the 303. It definitely needs a dry surface...like the bottle says. And definitely use it SPARINGLY, otherwise you'll have white beads of water running down your car when raining. Not a good look.

If a cleaner is necessary, Meguiars top cleaner is cheap and readily available or any pH balanced soap should suffice I'd think.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

My concern would be if this product is for vinyl tops or not, I didn't see it within the Amazon description. Personally, a good car soap works well for cleaning the top. Whatever product you choose be sure it has UV protectant to reduce fading/aging. I personally use 303, others prefer RaggTop, both are very good products.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm,
Old 08-27-2015, 03:45 AM

Not sure if you guys have Autoglym over in the States but I used the Autoglym Fabric hood cleaning kit and would recommend it... It beads pretty damn well... infact you can get a little wet when entering the car as the water just rolls off the hood onto your shoulder haha ... no residue at all. very easy to apply the cleaner and protectant, the kit comes with a sponge too
Old 08-27-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by SamySnead
Never used it before. I'm sure it works fine but I prefer 303 Aerospace as it seems to protect extremely well, beads water pretty darn good, and gives the black top a nice sheen back. The only time I ever ran into white residue problems was when I washed the top, then almost immediately put on the 303. It definitely needs a dry surface...like the bottle says. And definitely use it SPARINGLY, otherwise you'll have white beads of water running down your car when raining. Not a good look.

If a cleaner is necessary, Meguiars top cleaner is cheap and readily available or any pH balanced soap should suffice I'd think.

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
My concern would be if this product is for vinyl tops or not, I didn't see it within the Amazon description. Personally, a good car soap works well for cleaning the top. Whatever product you choose be sure it has UV protectant to reduce fading/aging. I personally use 303, others prefer RaggTop, both are very good products.
Is this the exact one yall use?

http://www.amazon.com/303-30350-Aero.../dp/B004YJQE0S

Originally Posted by tangoray
Not sure if you guys have Autoglym over in the States but I used the Autoglym Fabric hood cleaning kit and would recommend it... It beads pretty damn well... infact you can get a little wet when entering the car as the water just rolls off the hood onto your shoulder haha ... no residue at all. very easy to apply the cleaner and protectant, the kit comes with a sponge too
This one?

http://www.amazon.com/Autoglym-Fabri...007FN3K3MP5XKQ

My top is a Ribbons soft top, not sure if that makes a difference or not lol

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:59 AM

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Ragg Topp makes two kinds of top cleaners and protectants. One is for cloth tops, the other is vinyl. The original OEM top for the S2000 is actually vinyl that has been processed to look like a cloth.

Ragg Topp is recommended by manufacturers for their tops. I have been using it for years and have been satisfied.

I use the Chemical Guys hex pads and pad cleaner for my orbital polisher and really like the products. I have a velcro style backing plate that makes changing pads an instant process.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:17 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dcho810
Originally Posted by SamySnead' timestamp='1440624719' post='23727501
Never used it before. I'm sure it works fine but I prefer 303 Aerospace as it seems to protect extremely well, beads water pretty darn good, and gives the black top a nice sheen back. The only time I ever ran into white residue problems was when I washed the top, then almost immediately put on the 303. It definitely needs a dry surface...like the bottle says. And definitely use it SPARINGLY, otherwise you'll have white beads of water running down your car when raining. Not a good look.If a cleaner is necessary, Meguiars top cleaner is cheap and readily available or any pH balanced soap should suffice I'd think.
Is this the exact one yall use?http://www.amazon.com/303-30350-Aero.../dp/B004YJQE0S
This one?http://www.amazon.com/Autoglym-Fabri...7FN3K3MP5XKQMy top is a Ribbons soft top, not sure if that makes a difference or not lolThanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!
That is the 303 product I use, and what's nice it works equally well on rubber (tires, hoses, wiper blades and interior trim) which makes it a dual purpose protectant.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dcho810
Originally Posted by SamySnead' timestamp='1440624719' post='23727501

Is this the exact one yall use?

http://www.amazon.com/303-30350-Aero.../dp/B004YJQE0S

My top is a Ribbons soft top, not sure if that makes a difference or not lol

Thanks for the replies guys
That's it but 32oz is way too much. Camping World usually has the best prices around on 303 Aerospace (~$11 for 16oz) but places like West Marine, Ace Hardware or the such will price match.