S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Car Got Pwned by a Bird!

Old 03-04-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Got Pwned by a Bird!

Well Guys,
The wife and I went to the coast and had lunch. Came back to her car and found a huge bird bomb on her car....probably the biggest bomb I have ever seen on a car....must have been a hell of a Seagull, or perhaps a hawk
I didn't have any quick detailer, so we hurried home and I took a couple of pics of the masterpiece, then I washed the car. I noticed the turd managed to etch the clearcoat within the short amount of time. I tried scratch x, then tried some maguires #9 swirl remover, then followed with some gold class wax, and then topped it with some klasse all in one, and the damn thing still shows in certain lighting.
What would you recommend next? Is it time for me to invest in a PC orbital buffer?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, sounds like the paint is etched-

bird poop contains acids, which you now know!!

the cure is gonna be some heavy polishing- probably start with a fine cut compound (and yes, you need a pc)- work the area really well. check it with a magnifying glass (actually good idea to check it before you begin too- you should be able to see the crater easily- what the polish will do is take off the edges of the crater). anyway, fine cut it pretty much until your product is beginning to dust- then get rid of the dust and the residue with a clean mf towel... and finish up with a good swirl remover. this should make it so you dont see the etch any more. finish up with a good wax or synthetic. a few layers of synthetic will help reduct the chances of etching in the future too (but you should always get bird droppings off of the car immediately- just be careful not to wipe too aggressively cause they can contain sand).
Old 03-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I was amazed how fast the dropping had eaten into the clear coat, even though the car has several coats of wax. Now I have a good excuse to get a PC. After I polish it out, I will definitely get the Klasse AIO on the wifes car too.
I think from now on I am going to get a small emergency kit for the cars. Have two small travel containers, one filled with distilled water and the other with a quick detailer spray and have a clean microfiber towel rolled up in the trunk!
Old 03-05-2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by moonsurfer,Mar 5 2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I was amazed how fast the dropping had eaten into the clear coat, even though the car has several coats of wax. Now I have a good excuse to get a PC. After I polish it out, I will definitely get the Klasse AIO on the wifes car too.
I think from now on I am going to get a small emergency kit for the cars. Have two small travel containers, one filled with distilled water and the other with a quick detailer spray and have a clean microfiber towel rolled up in the trunk!
That's a good idea. I recommend you keep your micro fiber towel in a plastic bag to prevent it from picking up loose dirt in your trunk. Otherwise, you'll scratch up the paint with a dirty towel. Alternatively, you could keep the whole kit in a plastic container.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:20 PM

Thanks MikeyC,
I overlooked that simple, yet very important detail. I will definitely keep it in a ziplock bag and probably keep em stored in the spare tire area in the wifes trunk and the tool area in the S. I guess you just have to have a kit for just about anything these days