S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Car Cover Question?

Old 07-24-2004, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cover Question?

I just got my MY04 NFR and loving it! Want to keep it looking good! Most of the time it will be parked outside in the driveway. Therefore, I bought the car cover from the dealership. After visiting www.properautocare.com I am now concerned if it will be adequate. I live in the metro Atlanta region and experience a bit of all the weather elements. Will I be alright with this cover or should I take the hit in the wallet for another? Anybody have any good or bad experiences with this car cover? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:40 PM

For me the car cover worked great, although people told me it was only for indoor use. Nonetheless, it performed fine. I never experienced snow or hail, so I really cannot comment on that situation. The only problem was that other people wanted my car cover badly, and thus it was stolen. I highly suggest you get a lock, and put identyfing marks (e.g. your name, address, VIN,) on various parts of the car cover. Otherwise, enjoy!
Old 07-24-2004, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the input watchyosix. I hadn't thought of somebody stealing it. Sorry to hear yours got stolen. The lock sounds like it may be a good investment.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:23 PM

No problem. I also suggest that if the car is parked outside that you remove your antenna, and possibly superglue your sidemarkers.Both of those items were also stolen from my car. Since it's just in your driveway, you might want to set up some surveillance system, maybe just a regular digital video camera placed inside your home? If you think I am exaggerating security, I'm not. People will try to deface your car in some way. Otherwise, enoy that ride!
Old 07-24-2004, 09:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the stock cover really is mainly a dust cover. but it is great at that job..
i have two.
very well padded, and perfect for keeping the interior clean with the top down.
but if i was going to park outside in rain, i think i would want a diff cover.
sorry to hear yours was stolen-
Old 07-25-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Jul 24 2004, 09:11 PM
the stock cover really is mainly a dust cover. but it is great at that job..
i have two.
very well padded, and perfect for keeping the interior clean with the top down.
but if i was going to park outside in rain, i think i would want a diff cover.
sorry to hear yours was stolen-
- The Honda stock cover (I also have 2) is very good for its intended purpose (sun, dust, heat protection) but won't do much against rain or worse.........There are any number of car cover companies around, but California Car Covers offers a wide selection of covers and their fit is excellent - Fit will be of particular importance for you if the car is outside. You are going to spend somewhere between $250 and $300 to get what you need but the results will be worth the investment.

BTW - They have a website (calcarcover.com) and ship around the world.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just like to add, check the surface of your paint from time to time depending on what cover you get as sometimes you may get fine swirls, and scratches from the cover
Old 07-26-2004, 12:59 PM

I feel a little iffy when it is windy out having the car cover on...Otherwise if it's dry it does a fantastic job.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:47 PM

Thanks alot for all your input guys! I'm going to get to go ahead and get another cover that is specifically made to protect against the elements. I wish the sales weasel at the dealership hadn't misguided me. Guess I can use the dust cover that I've already purchased later. I'll check out California Car Covers Spryguy mentioned and a few others. s2ksimon mentioned covers causing fine swirls and scratches. Can anyone suggest one that is clearcoat safe and won't cause these problems or ones that I should avoid? Thanks again for all your help!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bman2000,Jul 26 2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks alot for all your input guys! I'm going to get to go ahead and get another cover that is specifically made to protect against the elements. I wish the sales weasel at the dealership hadn't misguided me. Guess I can use the dust cover that I've already purchased later. I'll check out California Car Covers Spryguy mentioned and a few others. s2ksimon mentioned covers causing fine swirls and scratches. Can anyone suggest one that is clearcoat safe and won't cause these problems or ones that I should avoid? Thanks again for all your help!
the honda cover is prob the best for minimizing swirls- very well padded by a soft inner liner.
all covers should be washed when the car is washed to minimize swirls.

Quick Reply: Car Cover Question?