S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Can't wash my car!!!! and some general questions

Old 04-03-2003, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't wash my car!!!! and some general questions

I live in Colorado, where due to drought, washing of cars is not allowed. We can get them washed at car washes (less then thrilled at the prospect.) What would you all recommend. I like the idea of a self service car wash (pay some quarters and use the "wand thing." Is this same for the top (as long as I don't scrub it?) Is it safe for the body?

I plan on waxing the car myself after washing it in the above fashion.

Also, as far as detailing is concerned, where can I get a good cleaner for the rear window. I notice numeous products listed here on the board, but where can I get them.

Is armour all good for the dash, armour all leather cleaner for the seats?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is terrible....
a couple of buckets of clean water would probably do it-
second best would be the wand thing- make sure you stay back so that not too much pressure hits the car and also be sure not to do it in the sunny part of the day.
plexus is what you need for the window-
pass on armor all (or however its spelled)- try 303 or vinylex for plastic parts. and i mainly use a product called lexol (made by the same folks who make vinylex) for leather.
my fav site for products:
http://properautocare.com/

by the way, plexus is at:
http://properautocare.com/plexus.html

vinylex and 303 info:
http://properautocare.com/vinrubcarpro.html

good luck!!
Old 04-03-2003, 07:26 AM

Honestly I'd move outta there. Pressure wash is not a good idea. Armour All will leave the dash shiny and greased up looking. I hand wash with a chenille mitt and Zaino wash after a good rinse. Keep cleaning the mitt during the wash to minimize any grit. Rinse with flowing water and towel (100% cotton towels with hems cut off) it dry. Use Maguire's plastic cleaner followed by Plexus polish on the rear window. 303 Aeorspace 100% U.V. blocker protectant for dash, roof, tires. Zaino leather cleaner and Zaino leather conditioner. Have a Heatshield sun reflector to pop up to the inside of the windshield when I have to park in the sun. I also have a hose attached to hot and cold water lines from the cellar in the garage which is where I wash it. Inside, and out of the elements. If you can't move, then can you put down a spike and get your own water? Or try rain barrels on your downspouts and collect what you can. I'm sure the water ban concerns your use of the town water supply and not whatever you can harvest on your own property. Go up into the mountains and collect snow if you have to. Just don't use a car wash. All a pressure wash does is blast the grit across your paint. Fine for an old who cares car. Not for keeping a nice car nice.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:15 AM

First off Icemn2003 Welcome!

Go to the Rocky Mountain Section and opt in. If you are a owner enter your VIN.

I mainly use the power wash (wand) for my car. I have never had a problem using the pressure washer. IMHO it's safe.

For washing the top I just use the low pressure and maintain the top with a coat of 303 Protectant every 12 months. My top still looks new.

You can buy plexus at any marine, hot tub, motorcycle specality shop. My 01 top is almost immaculate. I just have a minor crease in my top. I don't use a tube, but I do have keep a sheet of static tint to prevent scratching.

Armor all on the dash and seats! NO WAY! Use Lexol on the seats and Vinylex on the dash. 303 also works.

Hope this helps. Don't move out of CO. It's a wonderful place to live.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:27 PM

You really need to hand wash if you plan on waxing. I usually go to the wash bay after hours and bring a bucket with soap. I spray the car down and add water to my soap bucket. I hand wash as I normally would then use the wand to rinse.

If you need some 303, I can hook you up. Check this link for details. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=104922
Old 04-03-2003, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never tried it BUT

http://www.dri-wash.com/

disclaimer I AM A ZAINO GUY....
Old 04-27-2003, 10:10 AM

This won't help you do the kind of job you need to do before waxing, but for washing in general try Protect All's Quick and Easy Wash. (www.protectall.com) It's a no-rinse formula. I was skeptical at first too, but it did the job for me this winter and worked very well.

Otherwise, take Nin009's advice and take your bucket and stuff to the wash by and do it yourself. I use them for the water when they turn off the outdoor water at my apartment complex.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, as far as detailing is concerned, where can I get a good cleaner for the rear window. I notice numeous products listed here on the board, but where can I get them.
Windex MultiSurface w/ Vinegar @ WALMART for about $3-4.

I use it on all the glass, it has no ammonia, and works great.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey people, just wanted to ask... does it matter what kind of car soap to use? I've always been using zaino Z-7, but since I have no more, I bought a gallon of turtle wax car soap from costco (yeah yeah, I'm cheap. ) Do you think this will work just fine?
Old 04-30-2003, 05:16 AM

HyperDimensions, I tend to stay away from any Turtle Wax product (garbage), that's why I'm iffy on even trying their microfiber towels. Car wash tho, you'd think they might be able to get that right, but you never know.