S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Can one literally buff off one's clearcoat

Old 05-22-2006, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2002,May 22 2006, 08:21 AM
I took at look at Jeff's and Klasse they seem to be acrylic based. Isn't Liquid Glass very similar? That one has been around for years and it is acrylic based.

Same stuff just repackaged?
Just because all three products are acrylic based doesn't mean you get the same result. There are many, many other ingredients involved in these formulas which make each of the three very distinct. Try starting this thread over on Autopia. You'll be flamed so hard and so fast your head will spin.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikey I found your thread! I really feel for you. If they did not want to come up with the $$$. The very least they could do is send you some new equipment, gratis.

But a big company like them could have made good $500 for repair then a thank you endorsement from you, could go a long way in their marketing. That is, if they weren't so money hungry and stupid. I doubt one of their top executives know about this? Did you sent a letter to the president of the company? Or deal with a customer service "clone"?

Old 05-22-2006, 07:00 AM

My left front fender got bashed in while parked in the lot of a local supermarket. It had to be an SUV because the hit squashed in the top part of fender near the headlight. I did not see it happen. But I could see the white paint.

I was in the store and found it, when I came out. Needless to say the person who cause the damage did not stick around, much less, leave a note for insurance. Of course, this supermarket did not have cameras either.

The repair is good , the paint matches because they used the original Honda color codes , which I had to get for them. First time the match was much less than good.

Now three months later, the clear coat seems to be dulling slightly and I can see some irregularity on surface, probably from the paint settling. That's why I am exploring the PC idea since the paint is probably hard enough to polish.

Otherwise the car looks great with the frequent TLC. It looks brand new after I give it a coat of NXT and 303 on the roof. The metallics really look nice in bright sunlight.

But this shade of yellow is really a bug magnet. I think, they think it is one big flower.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2002,May 22 2006, 10:00 AM
Now three months later, the clear coat seems to be dulling slightly and I can see some irregularity on surface, probably from the paint settling. That's why I am exploring the PC idea since the paint is probably hard enough to polish.

Otherwise the car looks great with the frequent TLC. It looks brand new after I give it a coat of NXT and 303 on the roof. The metallics really look nice in bright sunlight.
I feel for you. Someone backed into my front bumper a couple of months ago which resulted in a repaint for me. Also, as in your situation I didn't see it happen and no note was left. I also recently noticed a skuff on my rear bumper. I'm sure someone backed into it, but it should buff out. I wish people knew how to drive.

Have you been putting NXT on your re-painted bumper this whole time? The dull look of the paint may be the clear coat failing. You should not wax or seal a re-paint for at least 30 if not 90 days after painting (check with your body shop). If you do wax then the paint will not set properly. I did this once on my old Prelude and the clear coat started flaking off after a few months. Factory paint on a new car can be waxed immediately as the baking ovens in the factory are MUCH hotter than the baking oven in your local body shop.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:37 PM

Talking

I think its just the paint settling on the fender, at least I hope that's it. The finish is pretty glossy, just not real smooth looks kind of like an orange.

The body shop said to wait four weeks and I waited almost seven weeks before using any wax. They blended the job, painting the fender, part of the hood, front bumper and part of the driver's door. The fender is the only part that looks kind of rough. When I rub the paint I can feel small undulations, so I think that I can buff it out.

I did read the Roadfly link, it was very informative and I will try to take it from there. What I like is there is a step by step guide matching the pad and polish to the task.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:37 AM

Talking

Mikey, thanks for your help. Also thanks to other members who have posted on this site.

I picked up a PC from the local Lowes courtesy of other members here, I got a 10 percent coupon. I also ordered the Edge 2K pads with adapter from autogeek using their 10 percent coupon. Thanks for help.