S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

BUFFER SWIRLS...

Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUFFER SWIRLS...

What causes these? How can I avoid them next time? I have some pictures ill post in a bit. It was my first time using a high speed buffer. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:16 AM

14 views, no comments
Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Former Moderator

Rotational speed too high
Moving across the paint too quickly (the biggest mistake i see)
Pad too aggressive
Product too aggressive
Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Nov 5 2007, 12:31 PM
Rotational speed too high
Moving across the paint too quickly (the biggest mistake i see)
Pad too aggressive
Product too aggressive

what compound were you using and what type of pad?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Was it a mechanical or chemical compound? Also, what were you trying to accomplish with the HS buffer?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 PM

I wast neccessarly trying to accomplish anything with the high speed. just had one around and didn't have a orbital.

the car is a few months old and practically never washed and sat under hard water sprinklers for the time he owned it. I was bored and my roommate didn't mind me using him for guinea pig...

I am no pro at all, just trying to learn so don't flame me too bad. I jus started at a detail shop(dont worry I'm not buffing any cars yet)

as for pads I used the generic foam pad at the shop with our "black car" compound. then I used our generic wool pad with our wax/polish.

the car looks great minus the buffer swirls, I didn't burn it or anything. I was kind of rushed though which may have beenwhy that side swirled that way(the rest of car doesn't eally have any)

I definitely wan some constructive criticism, but don't get into me too bad! haha.

was my process wrong? did I use the buffer terribly wrong? what should I do next time if I were using the same materials?

thanks!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:06 PM

if i did that to my car i would cry. i dont like the sound of "generic" anything when it comes to my cars paint job. Especially when machines are involved. If you work at a detailing shop i would think there would be other guys to ask first hand as well as give you hands on coaching????
Old 11-05-2007, 01:15 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I see your error. I come form the Industrial side of detailing (tour vans busses limos) But Ususally you use a wool pad for heavy cutting and a softer foam pad for polishing. I will explain indetail later when I get back from work.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:16 PM

well its not really generic, just not stuf that we would buy off our sites heree. the detail wax our company uses is called ardex. and yes there are guys here, but I'm new to his place and cant decipher who acually knows what they are talkng about. not everyone here is good.

so another question, what needs to be done to get them out? my 07 berlina also had these buffer swirls from the dealer, but they eventually went away within a few washes..does that just mean the wax has came off?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STOP... lol jk

But yea a wool pad is used for extensive cutting power.. That is your big problem there.. You can never finish with that.
And generic pads aren't really good to go with cause it could be a cutting pad or a finishing pad or anywhere inbetween..

Quick Reply: BUFFER SWIRLS...