S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Body Shop Horror

Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow, what a nightmare! Hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have agreed to allow them to replace the front bumper cover and start over from scratch. The bad news is that they won't have the car done until a few days after they get the new parts in (from Honda).

It's a bad deal, but they screwed up, they know it, and they're going to fix it.

I did drop by today at lunch and introduce them to the paint and assembly inspectors who will be going over the car when they are done. It cost me lunch at the local Mexican place but... it was an effective "come to Jesus" meeting. We had the standard "We're going to help you be successful" talk. I'm pretty sure that the proprietor was ready to spit nails when we left, but he handled himself pretty well, and we had a good laugh over it on the way back to work.

This is going to be a hoot!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM

Damm sorry to hear, hope all works well.

Id be like that too if things didnt need to be worked on and they messed it all up.

Any pics?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DryCycle,May 9 2008, 01:24 PM
I have agreed to allow them to replace the front bumper cover and start over from scratch. The bad news is that they won't have the car done until a few days after they get the new parts in (from Honda).

It's a bad deal, but they screwed up, they know it, and they're going to fix it.

I did drop by today at lunch and introduce them to the paint and assembly inspectors who will be going over the car when they are done. It cost me lunch at the local Mexican place but... it was an effective "come to Jesus" meeting. We had the standard "We're going to help you be successful" talk. I'm pretty sure that the proprietor was ready to spit nails when we left, but he handled himself pretty well, and we had a good laugh over it on the way back to work.

This is going to be a hoot!
ROFL!!! Freakin hilarious! I hate body shops. I had an e46 M3 before I moved on to the S2000.... I got rear ended at like 3 mph. There was just a scuff in the paint on the rear bumper. They repainted the entire rear bumper to fix it... which was good. However, they freakin did the crapiest job I'd ever seen. There were lines and bubbles in the paint.... It was rediculous. Meanwhile, I'd already paid my share of the deductable (didn't want to wait for the insurance companies to sort it out even though it wasn't my fault) and I ended up being "out of a car" to drive for 2 weeks.

Finally, I picked it up after 2 weeks and noticed the paint bubbling on the right corner where it met the fender... ARGHH!!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 01:39 PM

have any pics??

Just wondering how the car looks like.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:42 PM

I can't post pics on here because I haven't gotten around to joining up, and I took down my ISP hosted site because I'm moving to Mississippi next week. The shop has called me twice this week to let me know how things are going, and it sounds like they think they're done with it for good this time. I'm going to gather the posse together to give it another look on Friday afternoon.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DryCycle,May 7 2008, 07:12 PM
What would you guys have done? How do you fire a body shop in the middle of a job and get them to pay a competent person to fix their mistakes?
With a lawyer. Seriously.

And, I'd make sure that they pay your legal expenses to boot. I'm sure they could have gotten more wrong on your job, but it seems like they were pretty thorough

I think that going there with the paint auditors and all their gear is a *great* idea. Alright guys, let's see what happens when I unleash some trained professionals on this job of yours.

Best of luck getting it fixed. One hint for you, for when you end up taking it to a shop - tap into your local motorsports community. Autocrossers and road racers *always* know where the competent people are hiding for stuff like body work, alignments, etc. I've got a guy I like who has a Colors On Parade franchise, and he's awesome. Found him through the local sports car club.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 AM

i'm going through a similar process right now with a body shop. It has been on going since October 15th. I know how bad it sucks. Hope they fix yours right!
Old 05-18-2008, 07:43 PM

We went over on Friday afternoon. It was all handled in a very positive way, and he had two of his painters stick around after hours. We were there until 8:00 PM while Mike, Tommy, and I pretty bluntly took them to school, and went back on Saturday morning to clean the car up and get it out of there. The upside is that the owner has offered to pay Mike or Tommy $100 per car to pick everything coming out of his shop nitless before he delivers anything. I'm pretty sure either one of them could completely check out a car in about 20 minutes, so it's going to be easy money for them. In the end, it was nice to be able to help the guy out.