S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Body Shop Horror

Old 05-07-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Shop Horror

So I take my car in to to get the curb rash fixed / bumper cover and lip painted...

They screwed up the paint mix and decided to paint the fenders and hood at "no charge" I guess so I wouldn't notice that the front of my formerly yellow car is now... Orange.

And the orange peel on the bumper cover was worse than a Caddy Cimeron, and thank goodness they didn't match the rocker panels, or I might not have noticed the color difference at dusk, in the rain.

And they painted the gasket between the lip and bumper cover, and the paint was already cracking around the soft gasket material.

So after a 15 second inspection, I asked them to fix it... and they said that I was picking fly specs out of the pie! They did eventually agree to fix it, so I just left.

Then I came back, 6 weeks later when they said the car was ready again.

All kinds of stuff was wrong...
Overspray in the fender well
Overspray on the plastic thing between the hood and windshield
Overspray in BOTH fake vents in the bumper cover
Loose AND missing screws in BOTH fender wells
Loose AND missing screws and clips on the under tray
They spelled S2000 wrong on the right hand fender (it says 2000 S)
The gasket that they painted last time was replaced, but installed BACKWARDS
There was still orange peel, cracks, paint flash, rough, and shy paint on the bumper cover
They has disconnected the battery for some reason, but didn't bother to replace the positive cable boot, or re-authorize the radio

Those were just the notes I took in 10 minutes of looking at the car before telling the shop that they needed a do-over. I told them that the next time I came in, I would be bringing assembly, test, and paint auditors from work along with flashlights, mirrors, jacks, and a frigging endoscope, and they would damn well find out what it looks like when someone starts picking the fly shit out of the pepper!

I don't feel like I'm being overly picky. I mean, how do you screw up "S 2000?"

What would you guys have done? How do you fire a body shop in the middle of a job and get them to pay a competent person to fix their mistakes?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:36 PM

was this done at maaco?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:41 PM

OMFG, I would go bolistic!!!!! They decided to paint your fenders and hood without your approval, I can't even think of the words that would have come out of my mouth!!!!!!!!!!!! They seriously Fu@@ up your car, make them fix it right!!!! How did you find this body shop and how reputable are they?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 PM

Supposed to be the best shop in town. They hired a new tech, and he was there on a Saturday by himself, got over his head, and tried to cover it up. Like Mickey in the basement with a broom.

They didn't fire the guy (he's probably just a kid who had a Brady Bunch moment) Then "dad" took over the job to make sure that it was "done right" only "dad" is about 65, half blind, and seems to be a lot better at running the business than working in the shop. I'm dealing with "daughter" now.

What a mess...
Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Have you not seen previous work done by these people????

The daughter better be worth a seeing to! I would have these guys in court!

Hope it gets fixed for ya.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 PM

Damn that sucks!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shop is horrendous. However, I hope they get your baby back to normal.

One defense for the shop though....the 2000 S thing...

I caught my shop almost doing the same thing, and it's honda's fault. The stickers come "assembled" so shops think they just need to line them up and stick them on. In reality, they must separate the S and the 2000, and do them individually.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM

pics?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 PM

The body shop owner is embarrassed, to say the least. I was planning to take the car to Peoria for a week-long business trip this week, but it looks like I'll have to take the geezer-mobile instead. To make it worse, I'm moving to Mississippi in about two weeks, so I've got to make sure it's right before I get out of here.
Ironically, that's the main reason I had it in the shop... To get the buggered up paint behind the front plate fixed, and to get the holes removed.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually what they did was illegal. they need to notify you before working on other parts of your car that they did not authorize. i dont know what state you are in but i'm sure body shops need to be licensed so the people that do licensure can revoke their body shop license or soemthing. other than that i'd say fire them and make them pay a competent body shop. you can consult your local forum for good body shops that have worked on many "S 2000"s and know how to do the "S 2000" justice

Quick Reply: Body Shop Horror