S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Body shop or detailer to fix long, fine scratches on hood

Old 03-09-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body shop or detailer to fix long, fine scratches on hood

got a number of short and long fine scratches on the hood and the trunk after ice sliding off of the car after the long winter. scratches are very fine, is it better to bring it to a detailer or to a body shop?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Detailer should be able to remove the scratches based on your description. I would go see one and have him take a look. He (or she) will be able to tell you if they can be removed with polishing.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does your fingernail catch in the scratches? If not, then most likely they can be polished out. Either way, I imagine that it would be better to go to the detailer first. If they can fix it, should be able to do it for less than a body shop would charge.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would actually go to a body shop and talk to their detailer. Fresh paint needs to be wet sanded to remove any imperfections like runs, dirt, too much peel etc. Also an older car that gets a front end painted should have the other panels that were not painted cut and polished to make the vehicle more uniform. They have a lot more seat time with a buffer than someone at a dealership as an example. Someone who is good with fresh paint is really good with cured paint. Besides, they mostly work with paint rather than leather seats and carpets like non body shop detailers do. Look for a veteran, not a 17 yr. old with a buffer. My 2 cents.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jrse7en
I would actually go to a body shop and talk to their detailer. Fresh paint needs to be wet sanded to remove any imperfections like runs, dirt, too much peel etc. Also an older car that gets a front end painted should have the other panels that were not painted cut and polished to make the vehicle more uniform. They have a lot more seat time with a buffer than someone at a dealership as an example. Someone who is good with fresh paint is really good with cured paint. Besides, they mostly work with paint rather than leather seats and carpets like non body shop detailers do. Look for a veteran, not a 17 yr. old with a buffer. My 2 cents.
In my experience body shop detailers are AWFUL. I just had some paint work done on my car and picked up and it had swirl marks all over the car. Dealership detailers are even worse. Detailers at car washes are just as bad as dealership ones. The best detailers are at dedicated detail shops. If these scratches are light a detailer can get them out no problem with a buffer or some light wet sanding and buffing. My suggestion: do some research on sites like Autopia.org, DetailCity, etc. to find a qualified detailer in your area. Just remember a good detail and a cheap detail are not the same thing. You get what you pay for.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyC
Originally Posted by Jrse7en' timestamp='1299718040' post='20347813
In my experience body shop detailers are AWFUL. I just had some paint work done on my car and picked up and it had swirl marks all over the car. Dealership detailers are even worse. Detailers at car washes are just as bad as dealership ones. The best detailers are at dedicated detail shops. If these scratches are light a detailer can get them out no problem with a buffer or some light wet sanding and buffing. My suggestion: do some research on sites like Autopia.org, DetailCity, etc. to find a qualified detailer in your area. Just remember a good detail and a cheap detail are not the same thing. You get what you pay for.
I agree. After having some body work done on my s2k from a shop with a good reputation the car was covered with buffer trails and swirling. IMO the results from a dedicated detailer will outclass a body shop detailer. Dealerships I don't really consider as having 'detailers'. They have inexperienced staff that are there to make the car shiny before pick up. Car wash 'detailers' are along the same lines.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM

I agree MikeyC and metros. I would not take my car to a body shop to get my car polished. As suggested, visit the detailing forums like Autopia and see if you can find a professional detailer in your area. If you can't find anyone locally, then consider investing in a dual action polisher, pads, and polishes and doing the work yourself.