S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish

Old 02-20-2007, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish

Manufacturer's Product Description:
THE best polish for standard and scratch-resistant clear coats.

The winds of change are blowing in automotive clear coat technology. In 2005, Mercedes Benz started using a nano, ceramic particle, clear coat and in 2006 domestic automakers will start using a super-hard, scratch-resistant clear coat developed by both PPG and BASF.

These new clear coats are scratch-resistant, not scratch proof. They can still be scratched and spotted. The problem is polishing, or removing defects in these new, super-hard clear coats. Conventional polishes may not have the cutting power to remove swirls, spots and defects in these new coatings. To our knowledge, no domestic polish manufacturer has developed a polish that is approved at the OEM level for use on these super-hard, scratch-resistant clear coats.

In 2005, we approached Menzerna of Germany and asked them to adapt their state-of-the-art, ceramic clear coat polishes for the enthusiast aftermarket. Menzerna, working with Mercedes Benz, developed a compound and polish to remove defects in the new nano, ceramic particle clear coats. These polishes are currently used at the OEM level in various auto manufacturing plants world wide and are considered within the polishing industry to be the most advanced polishes in the world.

So why change them?

Polishes developed for the assembly line, are designed for finishes that have been oven-baked but before the clear coat has reached it's maximum hardness. These polishes may dry too quickly when used on fully cured, scratch resistant clear coats. To facilitate the extended polishing needed to remove defects in cured, scratch resistant clears, Menzerna added additional lubricating oils to their OEM formulas. This means the enthusiast can polish longer without fear of creating excessive haze.

The result of the Menzerna-Blackfire collaboration is BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear, Finishing Polish. This formula is exclusive to BLACKFIRE and offers the do-it-yourself, enthusiast a number of advantages:

It will restore gloss and remove minor defects in nano, ceramic particle clear coats. It will restore gloss and remove minor defects in the new, 2006, super-hard, scratch resistant clear coats. It can be applied by hand, dual-action polisher or circular polisher. (Machine application is required for maximum defect removal in ceramic particle clear coats.)

We believe this to be the most advanced, consumer, finishing polish currently available.

S.R.C. Finishing Polish will remove any existing wax or sealant and burnish the finish to a mirror-like shine. Applied by machine, it will remove 3000 grit swirls, spots and scratches without hazing the finish.

NOTE: When we first introduced this polish, we did not recommend it for conventional clear coats. A year has now passed and we have found that this polish works wonders on older clear coats, especially when applied with the Green, German Polishing Pad. We now whole heartedly recommend BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish for use on all clear coat finishes.

BLACKFIRE S.R.C. Finishing Polish is VOC compliant in all 50 states.

Price:
$26.95 (16 oz.)

Packaging Info:
Typical Blackfire bottle which is black and has a flip top spout. The bottle featured sufficient directions.

Color/Scent:
A purple very thick polish with no noticeable scent

How I used it:
I applied a couple of dots to a green Edge 2K wave pad and polished until clear. Then I removed the residue with a Cobra Deluxe Jr. towel. NOTE: The polish has only been tested so far on one panel of a car with Cerami-Clear paint.

Thoughts:
Wow! I can tell already this will absolutely be my new favorite polish.

Immediately this product impressed me because a very little goes a long way. I was using less than half the amount I would normally use once my pad was primed. All I needed was a couple of dots of polish for each panel.

The working time of this polish was great (not too long and not too short ). Plus, the residue wiped off no problem. What was left behind was one of the wettest deepest post polishing shines I've ever seen. While this polish wasn't able to do any serious defect correction on the Cerami-Clear it certainly did a better job than Optimum Poli-Seal. I would expect this polish would have much more cut on a conventional paint job. According to posts on Autopia this polish has about the same cut as Menzerna Intensive Polish when used on a convetional paint job.

The polish also worked amazingly well on tailights. It left them super glossy and clear. This polish absolutely finishes out better than any other polish I've ever used.

My only complaint is the price. This polish is the same as Menzerna P106FF. So, if you're willing to buy 32 oz. you can save a couple of dollars by ordering the Menzerna equivalent.

Before & Afters . . .
Yeah, I know what you're thinking. That's a lot of build up and no pictures?!?! Sorry. It would probably be difficult to see the difference in a picture anyway considering I only tried it on one panel.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another great review... and another item on my "list"
Old 02-21-2007, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Feb 21 2007, 11:20 PM
another great review... and another item on my "list"
Mike,

This polish (or Menzerna P106FF which is the same thing) is a "must have" IMO. The depth, wetness, and clarity this polish finishes out to is just unreal. In the spring I hope to look into getting some Menzerna P085D which finishes with the same gloss but has less initial cut. The only downside is that it's only sold in Europe.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:00 AM

Who can we buy that from in Europe?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:04 AM

I've got PO106FF and agree, it's a must have product. I was amazed at the clarity of the finish. You can't see any micro marks left by this stuff, even under a jewelers loop. I suspect this is as close to a perfect finish as you can get.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by kctheflish,Feb 22 2007, 06:00 AM
Who can we buy that from in Europe?
SpoiledMan over on Autopia pasted this link to an Irish detailing supply website.

http://smartcarcare.ie/

I think we should try to put together a group buy.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Former Moderator

I'll have to try it.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:00 AM

Been lurking around this forum, with a lot of great info, havn't been able to post pictures for a badge yet, but i'll be in for a group buy. Great reviews MikeC, you've sold me on a lot of products.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by shutterlife,Feb 22 2007, 01:00 PM
Been lurking around this forum, with a lot of great info, havn't been able to post pictures for a badge yet, but i'll be in for a group buy. Great reviews MikeC, you've sold me on a lot of products.
I wish I got a commission.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:11 PM

I'm on a group buy....

Quick Reply: Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish