S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Big Blue vs. Pakshak

Old 08-17-2003, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Big Blue vs. Pakshak

I'm just jumping onboard the microfiber revolution (after 20+ years of using a shammy to dry my car). Is Big Blue that much better than the 24 x 24 MF towels that they sell on Pakshak?? Has anyone tried both? I'd be really interested in hearing your perspectives and opinions. Thx.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have used both...
different uses in my opinion-
nothing beats big blue for sucking water. i am a recent convert!
the mfs are great for buffing by hand, and other detailing tasks (such as quick detailing with a detailers spray), but imo they dont dry nearly as well as the big blue!
you can dry your car with one big blue if you blade or blow (leaf blower) the car first. or two big blues will dry it fine.
big blue does a better job than any other product out there (and i have tried them all!!)
Old 08-17-2003, 04:23 PM

wanabe, I should've known you (the Wash & Wax guru) would be the first to reply! As always, thx for the insight. Looks like I'll be going w/Big Blue...
Old 08-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can dry my car with one Pakshak 24" MF towel, no need for two Big Blues. Use the hose without a spray nozzle and let the water sheet off before drying.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:32 PM

Whoa, ubetit, u only need 1 Pakshak 24 incher to do your whole car??!! I guess those lil suckers absorb a lot more water than I thought. Now I'm wavering...
Old 08-17-2003, 06:03 PM

I agree, sheet the water off the car and one 24x24 mf towel is more than enough. The Pakshak 16x16 and 24x24 mf towels seem much softer than the Big Blue. BTW, the Pakshak 24x36 Waffle Weave towel is a Big Blue. He cuts the tags off, but I have one with the tags still on and they are the same.

I used to think the California Water Blade was the best way to dry a car. But, sheeting the water off is much faster and you minimize the times you rub your car's paint with something.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:29 PM

Thx mike. I think I'm going to try both the 24" Pakshaks and Big Blue, and see which work best for me. Like you, I'm very wary of what the water blade could do to my paint/clearcoat over time. The thought of dragging that plastic over my car just makes me nervous...
Old 08-18-2003, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i like to see the diff opinions, and now await your experiment bigpurp!
i actually use only one big blue, but towards the end it is pretty soaked- which is why i suggest 2 ...
am interested in your opinion when trying big blue and pakshaks side by side! maybe dry right half of car with one and left half with the other? or best test would be 2 s2000s one with each method (one big blue and the other pakshak mf) at the same time.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:59 AM

All very good suggestions, wanabe! I will gladly be the guinea pig for the forum on this. I'll try to get the results by the end of the month. Since I don't have the luxury of owning 2 of these fine automobiles, I'll do 1/2 with Big Blue, and then 1/2 with Pakshak. Only one will emerge victorious!

This is gonna be bigger than Coke vs. Pepsi, folks...
Old 08-18-2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by bigpurp
Whoa, ubetit, u only need 1 Pakshak 24 incher to do your whole car??!! I guess those lil suckers absorb a lot more water than I thought. Now I'm wavering...

Here's my $.02. I've never used Big Blue. Both boiler and wanabe are huge fans of Big Blue. Check the price for 1 Big Blue and then compare it to Pakshak's 24x24. Last winter I bought several Pakshak 24x24 MF towels and now use them to dry my car. Usually just 1 towel will cover the car, car doors, trunk, gas fill door, under the hood, and vinyl widow. Even if it should require a second towel, I've still saved $$ by buy the 24x24 MF towels.

I think Pakshak towels are a great value!

PS ........ I still use a cotton towel to wipe off the vinyl top. 303 Aerospace Protectant leaves an oily film and don't want that on my MF towels.

Quick Reply: Big Blue vs. Pakshak