S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Best Swirl remover w/o fillers

Old 05-22-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Swirl remover w/o fillers

What is the best swirl remover that doesn't have fillers? I wanted to repair the paint rather than just hide them or just fill them in. I dunno if that makes any sense. Is the 3m swirl remover a good buy? I just got the Sonus Das kit and my paint looks similar to this http://www.noestudios.com/clients/autopia/..._claySwirls.jpg (animeS2K if you want me to remove that pic or link pls let me know)

Thanks !
Old 05-22-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cant tell what color your car is...
if its black, my fav is the 3m product that is here:
(of course, thats my car in their ad!!)

http://properautocare.com/3mperswirmar.html

fyi- a swirl remover is the lightest level of polish that there is. its job is to "rob the swirl of its edges"... kinda like rubbing off the edges of a groove. this prevents light from reflecting off of the edges and that then means we cant see the swirl.
the reason for the non aggressive approach is that it looks as good as a complete removal without having to remove much of the clear coat.
a fine cut will have a better chance of removing the swirl completely, but it will also remove more of your clear coat and you wont be able to see the difference on most of the swirls. those that you can still see after a good swirl removal will be scratches and you can just fine cut those.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:34 PM

sweet thanks I am going to order that! That is not my car or pic, but the color of the pic'ed s is berlina. This is for my daily, which is a nighthawk pearl accord (black). Sweet looking ride btw!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by depechek,May 22 2006, 05:34 PM
sweet thanks I am going to order that! That is not my car or pic, but the color of the pic'ed s is berlina. This is for my daily, which is a nighthawk pearl accord (black). Sweet looking ride btw!
thx-

have you done a swirl removal before?

i can find you some tips if not-
just "work the box"!!
which means you work in 2x2 areas and really work the product... you need a machine to do this right.
and if done right the swirls will be gone and you will have black glass, like this:

Old 05-22-2006, 06:38 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Would you recommend the 3m for spider-webbing? (not necessarily full-on swirls)

TIA!
Old 05-23-2006, 05:20 PM

^^^ I think so. I have webbing and swirls. I keep you posted with pics. Just gotta wait for all my stuff to come in. Thanks Wanabe, I'll keep you in mind if questions pop up.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Former Moderator

Come on wanabe, you are losing your knowledge of product. He asked for a swirl remover WITHOUT fillers. That stuff you use and love is one of the worst when it comes to fillers, it's loaded.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd try Optimum or the Sonus SFX line. The 3M dusts like nothing else! Ugh, can't stand it.

Optimum Compound and Optimum Polish ($16/ea) are great because they produce NO dust whatsoever - you just have to know when you're done working them and wipe them off wet.

Otherwise the SFX polishes work great (I used them for that black S2000 project, after all) at $10/ea. You can get 10% off at Autopia using the Autopia-s2ki10 coupon code, so that saves a couple of dollars. I'd definitely get all three polishes (SFX1, SFX2, SFX3). The SFX3 at a slower speed on a finishing pad really did a great job with a final pass. They dust a little bit, but nothing like the 3M.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:31 PM

feeling the heat!
i understand that 3m does have some filler, and have also read disputes about this... but its still my fav!! i have never noticed the results of the filler compared to any other swirl remover. i am guessing that the filler gets sealed by my zaino cause it never looks any diff after a couple of years-

sonus just didnt get it last time i used it (o.k.- admit that it was on a beater van, but i was a bit disappointed)- i agree it dusts less, but i guess i like the dust cause it tells me how i am doing!! i still have a couple of sonus light polishes and will give them another try. (i know its a personal thing- but for me, any black car that i touch for swirls gets the 3m, at least as the final step- if the swirls are light it is my only step)

i do need to try optimum's swirl remover- on my list...

i also like einszett 1z and recently tried one of the meg polishes- i think it was a paint cleaner... good results with both.

imo, a smr, such as those above and in the posts above this, followed by the 3m is a winning combo- but would not suggest this for a newbe (just cause its even more time intensive). top that with zaino and then top that with carnuba!~!!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best one without filling.. "wetsanding" no doubt

Quick Reply: Best Swirl remover w/o fillers